Hi everyone

I wonder if some of you also have different skin since the ffa startet? My skin is rough and my derm now thinks (after two skin biopsies with no pathological findings) that there maybe a connection with my hair loss. .. 

I also wanted to thank all of you out there for sharing all your informations. It really helps me on this not so easy path. It's not a life-threatening but a life-changing disease. 

wish you all strength and courage!

greetings from switzerland

Views: 3517

Replies to This Discussion

FFA has also changed the appearance of my skin.  Before I was even aware of the hair loss, I noticed the skin around my temples had become what I can only describe as pale and crepe-like.  I thought it was just  part of the aging process, and I was losing elasticity in my skin.  I now believe that this is where my ffa started.  It was more than a year later when my hairdresser mentioned that the hair on my forehead was becoming uneven, and I started to search the internet for answers.  It has now been two years since my diagnosis, and much of the skin around the areas affected by ffa have the same pale, crepe-like look.  It's strange because the some of my skin has become slick and shiny (also pale).  My forehead also has a rough texture with a few bumps that itch occasionally.  I agree with you, Molly, it does make me look (and feel) older.  I wear bangs to cover my forehead, but I can see it every time I check my hair in my rearview mirror.    

I have the rough skin, but only on my forehead. When I started with FFA 5 years ago, I had tiny bumps all over my face. I thought it was a reaction to my face cream, but even when I changed my face cream it never went away. Since I have been exfoliating twice a week and using rose hip seed oil at night, the bumps have gone away entirely and the roughness is much less.
Thank you so much for your reply! I tried the rose hip seed oil and I think my skin looks a little bit better. My mom (who didnt know I started using this oil) told me that my skin has changed and looks better. So I hope it keeps working!
Thanx!!!

Yes!!

Oddly enough, I visited an allergist this past week and after seeing a slew of doctors in the past couple months including all sorts of dermatologists, he was the only one who made note of my "rough" complexion. He said that it looked like my facial follicles were swollen. He didn't know anything about FFA so it took me by surprised when he said that. I told him that my scalp follicles are also inflamed due to FFA. I actually had completely forgotten about my tiny bumps since they have been overshadowed by a strange hyperpigmentation/rash now the prevailing characteristic of my complexion and has garnered all the dermologists attention. 

In hindsight, the small bumps around my temples were actually one of the very first symptoms along with the thinning eyebrows (early last year) and the loss of hair in my extremeties. I just attributed them to hormones or my skin being sensitive to the oils in my moisturizer or sunscreen but now am flabberghasted that even those tiny bumps may very well be related to the FFA.

Hello Charlotte,

My skin was also rough on the sides of my face and I had small patches of red bumps on my cheeks. I tried numerous creams with no success. In November of last year, I tried Estee Lauder Night Serum and moisturizer and my face broke out in a bad rash.

Three weeks ago, a friend suggested that I try Nerium AD face creams, one is a day cream and the other is a night cream.

Since she gave me free samples, I decided to try it.

It's been two weeks and my skin is much better. The small red bumps are almost totally gone from my cheeks.  My face at my hairline is no longer rough.

I will be using this cream on my face and neck to see if the positive results continue.

I'll update you on the progress.

Sincerely,

Terri

Now that my skin seems weird again I found this old thread. The symptoms you describe -- all of them - the crapey skin on the sides, rough on forehead, red on sides of cheeks -- are so exact to what I experience I do believe it's all connected. I also feel certain areas of the skin look suddenly aged. I discovered FFA after repeated forehead rashes, almost like a sunburn. My derm thought there was no connection, but I told her (and knew right away) there is a connection.

Has anyone learned any more about this? Terri -- did the Nerium AD continue to help?
Anyone finding anything that helps?

Mel and all others,

I saw this article in the Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. It really doesn't give any treatment but the professional community seems to be realizing there is a link between skin problems and FFA.

Journal Article

Sandy

Thanks for posting this. It at least helps me feel like I am not imagining the facial effects of FFA.

Interesting. Thank you for sharing, SandyA!

Greetings from Upper Peninsula of Michigan! Yes, I definitely have skin changes, and was thinking of starting a discussion on the subject myself! It is different than the redness of my nose that I assumed to be mild rosacea. Before I was told I had FFA, I had noticed the skin of my forehead was rough--not scaley rough but bumpy rough and leathery looking. Later, when looking up info on FFA (shortly after learning I had it) I did see on a site (but I did not save the website address) that rough facial skin was associated with FFA, at which time I thought, so that's what the roughness on my forehead is about! Since then I have found more facial roughness at my temples and just under my cheekbones. Is there any treatment--anything that helps?

I am from Michigan, too! I went to the dermatologist because of what I thought was a skin rash, and I left finding out I had FFA, and the skin rash was part of the FFA. I hadn't even noticed I was losing my hair. I certainly do now. The worst part for me is that the skin on my face make me look so much older. It itches, burns, and feels like something is crawling on it. I am really unnerved by this. My head, also, feels this way some of the time. I am trying to decide if I want to take some medication (used for Malaria) in order help this. I am leaning toward taking it because the symptoms have made me uncomfortable and anxious. I can't even stand the feel of my hair on my face.

I have warts appearing on my face but the dermatologist says to leave them as they are non invasive

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service