We have taken our daughter to a Naturopath and she was tested for food allergies. Sure enough she tested positive for quite a few (wheat, soy, dairy, white beans, eggs, cabbage, shellfish...to name a few) The doctor told us that reworking her diet could stop her immune system from being in "overdrive." We are very excited to be able to DO something but it is so hard to manage the special diet with an active 6 yo. Has anyone else tried testing for allergies and had any results? Her regular pediatrician was less than supportive but was willing to go along with the other doctor. We are going to try it for the initial 3 weeks but would appreciate any advice!

Views: 2849

Replies to This Discussion

Keep us posted and I know the feeling about finding the secret key :)
We saw a anturopath in December too. We had the tests done and we have to go in to get the results but we took him off dairy and his hair has already started to regrow albeit white. Of course it could be a coincidence but the hair started faling out when we started milk and I just didn't put it together til now. But we saw a dermatologist today who was quite supportive of the whole idea and wanted to be kept up-to-date on his progress. Lets see what happens! Apparently he has a-typical alopecia..

Good luck to you all!!
Interesting! Maybe we are on to something. It is so hard to say with so many variables in life. It makes sense to me and if we can lessen enough "stressors" maybe her immune system can reach a better balance. I am curious to see what your son's results are :)
Just got back from our Doctor's appointment. He ordered tests for Thyroid and Milk Allergies....so now the wait begins....we should have the results early next week. Also we are being referred to a dermatologist.

My ex mother in law sent me an article that someone sent her from a Vitamin newsletter...thought I would share it with you. Thought it was interesting.

-Lara
Attachments:
Sophie's iron and zinc were very low. The holistic dr said that they were being used up by the immune system so he put her on iron zinc Vitamin c and enzymes. I wish I could tell you it cured her but it could be a coincedence. We are just thankful her bald spots are all but gone *fingers crossed*
just curious to hear how you are doing? :) Hope all is well
Besides your children having upset tummies or changes in the bowels, is there a way to show an allergy to certain types of food with no reaction except for hairloss? My daughter has has a full bloodwork done, but there was nothing lacking in her diet. She get a cough about twice a year from the nasal drip of allergies, but is otherwise healthy. What would I use to figure out if she should not eat certain types of food?
It only showed up in a full panel of allergy tests. She is not VERY allergic to these foods but there are a lot of them so combined might have been stressing her immune system. She was, is, healthy aside from the hair loss. She complained about tummy aches every so often but we really wrote it off to nerves. Two things we have seen improve were her skin and her breath. It seems to be working for us but it has been hard. A six year old is impossible to feed normally let alone with so many food to avoid. We have begun adding things back very very slowly and so far still no hair loss. I wish there was a "cure" and maybe this is just a coincidence BUT as a parent I needed to try it and I was glad it wasn't a chemical or medication treatment. There is little scientific evidence but lets be honest- how much research has there been on AA?
My daughter has no known allergies but I wonder if there is indeed some allergy that she has. Did your daughter show signs that she was allergic to these foods before the Naturopath appointment?
I never would have guessed she had allergies. In fact most of the food she is "sensitive" to she is only very slightly allergic to- but there are quite a few of them. The Dr tested for about 50+ possible allergens including foods, mold, dust, pollens, etc. I makes sense to me the way he described it. This was also after we had a full blood panel at her regular ped. to rule out any other medical cause.
How did they test for these allergies? Did they do a blood test or skin prick test? Is it the ELISA panel? Does insurance cover it?
They did a blood test- both immediate reaction and delayed reaction. Insurance did cover some of the tests but not the doctor or the delayed reaction test (I think...not sure) I will try to dig up my receipts. I feel it was worth it to get a second opinion. I know a lot of people on here are very skeptical and, while I don't blame them, I also know, as a parent, if someone told me doing jumping jacks at 5:38 a.m. wearing pink and purple striped lederhosen worked I just might try that :)

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service