At least that is what my family told the child abuse hotline.

Two years ago my daughter was diagnosed with AA. Since that time at its worst she has experienced 80% hair loss and at its best a few spots here and there.

Today I received notification that a child abuse claim had been made against me and that the state wants verification from my daughter's doctor that this is an actual disease and is not me or my child pulling out the hair along with proof that the desease is difficult if not impossible to treat.

I am angry beyond words... stressed and scared. Why would someone do this? We don't deserve this.

Views: 2646

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am so sorry that you have to deal with ignorant family members in a time when all your attention should be on your daughter. I have had AU since the age of 8 and I am grateful my family has been supportive but yet never treated me any different. Shame on the courts and DCF for letting it go this far. Stay strong, intelligence prevails over ignorance every time!

Go here for a parent/child support pack. Refer your family here.
National Alopecia Areata Foundation
http://www.naaf.org/site/PageServer?pagename=support_resources_parent

Here is a big hug for you.

I just wonder what country or state you live in that Child Protective Agency (or whatever they're called there) can't open a medical book or go online and KNOW that alopecia is a legitimate condition and is NOT caused by such things as they suggest.

How asinine IS this?

Government officials are the laziest, most inept bunch of slobs in the world and all they want to do is sit on their fat butts and pontificate, 99.99% of them of worthless thieves, gaming the system for all they can get!!!

I'm sure you'll come out of this alright and if it were me, I'd be looking for a lawyer right now to sue these creeps for mental anguish, libel and whatever else I could think of!!!!

Bastards!!!!!!!!! (excuse my French).

Clayton, I don't know if one can sue, but I would definitely inquire about getting child abuse taken off the records in the county. I'm not sure it CAN be removed, which is the bad part of all this if only about hair. The ignorant community and school board, school, church, county involved need to get the medical info and doctor reports about this child, with maybe photos taken to show progression of alopecia. Social services can show the info to the reporting party and judge, which will make the reporter feel VERY SMALL. Maybe the local paper can do an anonymous article about alopecia and support needed for those with it, so more people can confront the reporter's insensitivity and stupidity. Included in the article can be public knowledge about famous folk who have agreed to be spokespeople for NAAF about their alopecia, or beauty contestants with alopecia. Chances are the reporter is some neighborhood busy-body who never gets to know real people and their concerns.

Stay legal yourself, for the sake of the child and any press that results. Eventually, children will find out or read how parents handle situations.

Hold the phone: this was our own FAMILY reporting???? Didn't they know about alopecia all along? If not, why not?

Yeah, her own family reported her!!!! I don't want hurt any ones feelings, so I'm going to assume the reporter really DID have the child's welfare in mind.

However, being family, couldn't they just talk to Stacey or Sabree first???

i agree with you clayton

I hope you call the police on your family members for the emotional distress. In this case revenge is totally legit. I can't imagine anyone doing this to me and my parents because my family had known about my hair falling out since I was very little and everyone knew when it happened. (Besides that my scream of horror could be heard down the first two blocks of the neighborhood.) I hope karma bites them. Did everything turn out alright?

That is truly a sad story. Some people are just ignorant. Karma thats all I can say. SAD SAD SAD.

This enrages me beyond belief. How can anyone (and Im sorry to say this because they are your family) be SO IGNORANT !!!!!! THIS IS NOT YOUR FAULT OR YOUR CHILDS FAULT !!!! IT IS A DISEASE !!!! the legal system should get the facts of diseases and conditions before they make such a serious claim against any family. Even if she was pulling her hair out .....that is a disease too http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichotillomania

This is disgusting that you and your child is going thru this and for such I am truly, deeply sorry. Hire a lawyer, or do whatever and make them pay for this claim. DO NOT take this laying down.

People can be so ignorant, I'm so sorry you have to go thru this.

Seriously? I mean it's understandable that someone ignorant might not know enough & make the moronic report, but the CPS is a govt. outfit for crying out loud. They shouldn't be wasting time on this. Thank god I have never been in that situation. I'd have told them right on the phone that if they wanted proof, they could get off their fat back sides & bloody well Google it themselves

And if they still have concerns, they could feel free to come by to further interrogate us, so I could file a claim of my own, stating that THEY are harming the already suffering emotional welfare of my child

They should know a thing or two down at that place, so they don't cause more grief than they prevent. That's the 1st rule of healthcare

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service