Has alopecia changed you in a way? Your personality? Your character?

Hello everyone, as usual, I am momentarily depressed about my hair so I would like to ask you some questions. Since the onset of your alopecia, do you find a change within your character that has made you the way you are right now? For example, some of you have become quieter. Some of you have learned to be humble. Some of you have learned to be confident. Some of you have acquired the "I-don't-care" attitude. Some of you have become outgoing and bubbly.

I've definitely become a humble person. I don't know how to explain but after going through a lot in the past years, I have learned to accept the pain I'm carrying within myself. For example, some people can be rude and show off whatever they have - their luxurious clothes, fancy car, designer clothes, beautiful hair and skin, et cetera. But I've learned to be kind to people because you never know what they are going through at the moment.

In what ways has alopecia changed you? If there's any change at all?

Thank you.

Views: 2325

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just to add that I had permanent eyebrows and eyeliner applied and that made a world of difference in my confidence. I have them touched up every two years. Wonderful that I don't have to fool with makeup!! Toss my hair on and I am out the door in 15 minutes!! And my wig looks 10x better than most women's hair who are my age. As I walk the streets everyday, I still find myself looking at other people's hair every minute. And then I wonder if they have serious health issues and feel very grateful that mine is only hair. I am adjusting day by day but always hope. Everyone's posts on here have been tremendously helpful to me. I hope I am able to help someone else.

I am with Dorothy and Jill. I have AU and am 56. I lost all my hair about 3 years ago. Before I lost all my hair I would travel often, go to yoga and the gym, always up for socializing. Now I am much more of a homebody. I have many friends I see regularly, who know of my alopecia who see in my lovely hats. I don't try to hide it, yet staying at home now suits me now. The trips to other continents do not any longer. I am older and have had a wonderful social life prior to Alopecia. Like Jill.. i have accepted it and am not depressed. I have been able to enjoy so many things about home, reading, cooking, organizing (ok that is stretching it) my cats. There is still a lot to love about life like the interesting twists in life that force you appreciate other things which may have been an oversight.
Not much we can do to change Alopecia.. yet there is something to change the course of happiness with Alopecia.. we all have to find our way.. there is something out there.

I am 16 years old and my alopecia areata has been extremely difficult. I absolutely hate it and feel that it has done me nothing good. I have lost a lot of my self confidence in school and am always self conscious of my appearance. My friends and family have been very supportive though, so I am grateful for them. I just hope that I won't have a recurring hair loss because it has been a huge inconvience in my life. I find myself more reserved and quiet since I lost my hair. However, I am trying to stay strong. I used to cry over my hair loss, but I have adjusted. It's getting better and I have been able to get away with hats since I'm a guy and it's normal to wear hats. I guess I would say that it gets better and life is manageable.

A few years ago I had to go to the doctor (not related to the hair loss or to the Lupus) - just a routine thing but my own doctor was away so I saw his wife instead (also a doctor, of course, haha). Now her mother had Lupus too and had bad arthritis with it and this cheeky woman had the nerve to say to me that I was very lucky to have not suffered so much with the Lupus! As if hair loss and painful skin rashes aren't enough to go through life with but add the since diagnosed arthritis and the kidney and liver damage caused by Lupus and worst of all, my inability to have children - but the good doctor wasn't interested. When she said "so how can I help you today" I replied "you can't - I'll wait for my own GP to come back" - got up and walked out.

Great reply Ellyn....what an insensitive dr she was! Ugh...those types make me sick.

I think since I've had AU I've learned to concentrate more on other people than myself. I think I had more vanity in my life which was taken away in large part when I lost all my hair. It has been a challenging experience at times but I have come through it to this point without any bad memories. I do wear a wig when I go out and I never find people staring at it or me. The summer heat can be tough and I want to be in air conditioning much more but now I have COPD and need to for that reason anyway. Even if life changes because of a health issue such as AU, we can still go on and be a blessing to others. There are plenty of people who need our encouragement, help and friendship no matter what our situation. Alopecia does not define us and it shouldn't isolate us.

I think when we have a situation that we don't consider "normal" we can begin to withdraw. No one is "normal". We are all different and we all have so much to offer others if we get out there and talk to people. Not everyone will respond favorably to us but we're not in a popularity contest. We hurt ourselves greatly if we don't reach out. This is something I've learned in the last almost 20 years since I've had AU.

I was diagnosed with AU almost two years ago. I went through a brief period of regrowth after my diagnosis but I have lost almost 90% of my hair now. Over the last two years I have become way more confident and proud of who I am. I have also learned how to accept myself and my flaws. My diagnosis also gave me the push to get into better shape. I knew that I wouldn't have the confidence I needed once my hair was gone if I didn't feel good about myself physically.

My daughter has alopecia. I want to ask those of you who have tried everything - does that include using more holistic approaches including GFCF/SCD diet, detox, anti-viral therapy,etc. Thanks.

I started out with alopecia areata at age five. At age 23, I suddenly lost half of my hair. By 29, I lost the rest of it and fell into the category of alopecia universalis.

I have changed many times, and in many ways. I used to not be able to look at myself in the mirror, except in parts, like one eye at a time. There were times when I'd panic about who would figure it out when I was out in public - and boy, let me tell you, there were rumors galore at one of my workplaces! At times I have been defiant when I have been approached by strangers who demanded to know what kind of cancer I have, and have been disappointed when I informed them I didn't have cancer. Right now I am at the point where I think of myself in two ways: my public self, and my private self. My current hair piece allows me to blend in public (except on really windy days). I no longer flirt with men like I used to and I am distrustful of them if they show any interest, only because I know they will change their minds when they find out that Mr. Clean is hiding in plain sight. But looking mostly normal in public has helped me to mask some very private serious health problems that have been occurring in the last three years - and it is a relief to know that when I get home, I can whip my hair off and flop down in bed to rest.

And hey, I can get ready in 30 minutes or less from shower to shoes. I really like that when I feel the need to be spontaneous.

Thanks for your true and eloquent words. Exactly what I needed to hear tonight

I think having this condition has given me a bit of an "edge" to my personality. Whenever people
"speculate" or "berate" anyone who seems to have a condition that they don't understand, I immediately jump to the person's defense who is being "speculated upon" or "berated." Because I can't stand the arrogance of those who "know with a certainty" that another individual is being lackadasical and that is why he or she has (fill in the blank) or is (fill in the blank).

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service