I was wondering how many have had relapses while treating with squaric acid or DCPC.  I was into my 5th month of treatment when for no reason all of the new regrowth slowly began to fall out.  Now I am back to almost bald.  Is it worth continuing at this point?    

Views: 1714

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The too healthy sounds familiar! When I was sick these last few months I think my immune system had something better to do and my hair loss slowed down considerably! Do I want to be sick all the time?? Probably not! :0)
My daughter started losing her hair when she was twelve due to Alopecia Areata. She is 22 now. Being a mother who feels that she has to fix everything that is wrong with her child, I took her to doctor after doctor and treatment after treatment. We tried the DCPC several times, which broke her head out unbelievably and was very uncomfortable. The hair would grow back for a while, but always would fall out again. We tried shots, again unbelievably painful. Some success, only to fall out again. We tried ointments, natural remedies, everything I could find, until finally when she was in tenth grade, she said enough. At this point there is not cure for Alopecia. Everybody is differenct. Some people's hair grows back wih no other problems. Most people with Alopecia have times of regrowth followed by it falling out again. My advice is to not put your child or you through endless and fruitless attemps that will not work. Instead realize that hair does not have to define who you are. My daughter has worn a wig since 10th grade. She doesn't let the Alopecia define her. She has done sports, college band, and actually anything she wants. The other day she told me that she had never cried because of her hair, even when she was younger. I told her I cried endless tears because of it. She accepted it much better than I did. You can be an amazing person, not only in spite of your Alopecia, but also because of it. That is much more important than hair. Celebrate who you are. My daughter is now a senior in college and looking forward to the next phase of her life.

Wow, DChri, 

Your daughter's story and my daughter's story are UNBELIEVABLY parallel down to the ages and everything.  My daughter is a college senior, in her last semester, and I just wrote (a few minutes ago) on Facebook about making the last college payment.

Her story differs in one way.  Her hair is growing back on it's own after being AU for about 5 1/2 years.  We celebrate this.  She is in a different place now, thank God, and I only hope that if it should all falls out again God will help her through the emotional struggles that happen.

Dear DChri,

Your response was perfect and authentic. This is what happens when you try to treat a child or adult with alopecia.

1 The parent/adult with alopecia does nor realise that there has never been a treatment or cure!

2 The only cure is natural remission. I had natural remission from AA four times and it lasted for years.

3 Trying to treat AU  actually leads to pain, tears, dashed hope, time wasting, time off from school/work

4 Children don't like being dragged around surgeries or visiting charlatans.

5 Alopecia needs to be approached in a non medical way.

The true definition of  ALOPECIA madness is repeating the same action, over and over, hoping for a different result.

I have not tried anything for my hair for my hair loss except minoxidil. I have had bald spots and then it grows back, then a couple years later I got spots again but were bigger but hair grew back, then a couple years later got a bald spot and general hair loss on top of head and thats whereI am now but I do see a few new hairs in the bald spot coming in but the general hair loss continues with alot of itching. I will be going to Derm in a few weeksto see if I have scarring alopecia. What I think we all eventually learn is everything we try is a temporary fix and hair loss will come and go whether it is every few years or more often or loose it forever. So far there is not cure but maybe someday soon so keep hoping but understand the process we will have to go through. Don't spend alot of money on the hopes it may work when we know the cure is not here yet. I think eating cleaner may help alittle but I eat pretty clean and still have hairloss and stress doesn't help but we will always have stress of some kind. I wish you all the best on your journey as I also go through mine.

Check out the SCD diet...my five year old daughter lost everything, AT, and has regrown eyebrows, lashes, and a cute little blonde Mohawk!!! Just say no to YEAST of any kind, sugar and artificial sweeteners ( we use raw organic honey, hey a kids gta have treats and you can use almond/brown rice flour to bake) No wheat or any processed foods. Our bodies want to heal themselves but we HAVE to provide the nutrient to do so. I believe we're dealing with  "dysbiosis of the gut or leaky gut syndrome". There isn't a pill to sell to heal us so you have to dig deep to find it haha not funny! #helpalopecia

Its difficult to follow that diet.But I will trry my best! It can only heal you anyway!:)
My son is 4 years old and he also had great success with squaric acid until month 6, all his hair fell out. However, we have not given up yet and we are continuing the treatment and he started growing vellus hair again.
The problem is not addressing the issue from where it originates. Once the treatment is stopped, the hair will be lost and that goes for steroids. Please check out the SCD diet, not only for people with alopecia but all autoimmune diseases can be healed, cured, and/ or reversed. As long as you stay away from the toxins that caused the trigger to be pulled. Western medicine only wants to treat the symptom. To reverse damage done we must heal the gut. This has been a surreal experience for our family. When Alison lost her here she was also immunized and put on steroids. I believe that is what caused the imbalance of flora in her stomach. Therefore, leading to the dysbiosis of the gut.
AA, AT, AU is an autoimmune disease which means our bodies are fighting too much. SCD Diet is simply not going to work, unless you have digestive issues.

Within 5 years a real treatment is coming from 3 different sources, using slightly different methods, university of Columbia developing Drug that is a JAK inhibitor will cure whole body hair loss. #2 taking the cancer drug ruxolitinib, turning it into a liquid/cream. Shown to regrow hair but it is an immune suppressor #3 is Stemcell regenerative medicine. this replacement therapy, that's available now shows great promise. Many companies are working on this like Replicell and even Bosley is teaming up with a company, problem is little peer reviewed studies since so new.

yes I heard about the drug cancer Ruxolitnib coming with the next 2 years...and also about an Arthritis medicine but can't remember the name of it. I also heard about the stemcell..lets hope and pray it's not too epensive and we get dibs on them lol!!!

I started with squaric acid every month for 6 months I have AA then I moved to NJ followed up with a dermo he started every 2 weeks (I was getting good results so he upped it) at this point I was up 3 % was getting good reactions...did that for 6 months...due to health reasons moved here to Florida Oct 2013 very hard to find a dermo that works with it..finally did in 1/2014 we did every 2 weeks with awesome results got up to 4% my hair was back!!! I was actually going for little haircuts..I had a small crewcut..it was adorable...the one doctor was away and another was not comfortable using it so I missed 3 appts...by the time my next appt my hair was gone within 1 month...totally gone...this time I lost my eyebrows eyelashes body hair too...that hasn't happened since I was 8 years old. I'm devastated. She was too..she felt very bad, but we just don't know enough about this...so we start all over she said..I do have some strands coming in and it's dark so she says thats good news...and she gave me Desonide Cream for my eyebrows hoping they too will grow. So I'm back on 1% of acid and I wont give up until I have no choice, it worked once it can work again. Sorry to be so long but I never heard anyone else this until you!! I say give it another try..my insurance charges me $8.00 a visit so well worth it!! Good Luck to you!!!!!

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service