Just curious: Did you always have really thin hair or did you used to have thick luscious hair that left?

So. I'm curious. Did most people always have thin, fine hair their whole lives and then they started to have hair loss or did many people have thick and profuse hair that eventually developed hair loss?

For me, I have always had very fine, thin hair that was made fun of even in childhood and throughout my life and then eventually I developed Areata and/or Androgenic baldness that was too thin to ignore. What are other people's experiences? Thanks to all who share.

Views: 1332

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

my boyfriend's hair who is 33 and has alopecia areata since he was 15(he also has no body hair) was always very thin and fine and also veryy oily.now if he doesn't wash his hair every day they are really frizzy.

That is very interesting. So do you think there is a connection with the oiliness and the hair loss? I used to have a LOT of white body hair. I mean my arms were so hairy people would comment, but it never bothered me because it was stark white. Now I have very little body hair anywhere but it is still the same color. That is an interesting question, but a whole new discussion question. Did everyone lose their body hair, or just the hair on their heads? Maybe I'll post that one. Thanks for the reply.

Mine was always very long, thick and curly. I would often get compliments from my hairdressers. Now I have Universalis. Cruel joke Lord.

I had thick lustrous hair, that was, quite possibly, my best feature:( Luckily the rest of me ain't too shabby either, but i do miss that glorious mane. Luckily, unlike Sampson my strength did not leave when my tresses did, but instead blossomed one-thousand fold!

Interesting question...in my case, I had very thick straight hair, never any thinning. Then at about age 47 I developed the round bald spots, but the non-spotty areas stayed thick until it all fell out about 8 years later.

I had thick wavy dark hair all my life. I started getting it colored when I was 12 (I'm 35 now) and for years was going once a month to cover the gray. I also have had Brazilian straightening, Japanese straightening, and every type of highlight you can imagine. Then it all just fell out. I don't think it was related to the chemicals since I hadn't had a problem for the 23 previous years.

My daughter was known for her gorgeous thick long hair. She now has AU.

Always had fine thin hair

Hello.

My hair used to be very thick, and curly. Now, it's thinning and with one spot. I'm thinking I may need to have it cut short again.

Um, in my case I had extremely thick curly hair. I mean I can't even use my id anymore without people looking at me like its a fake (at 29 I don't think I need a fake id, lol). I think it thinned out a few times and either grew back or I just had so much I never noticed I was losing it. Last year when I decided to go super short in the back and keep it long in the front i realized there was a balding area at my crown. I cried the whole way home from the salon. My dr's thought it was just TE since I have no family history of fpb but its been a year and a half and my hairloss is so agressive and diffuse Ill be getting a wig soon. The wost part for me is not knowing why I lost it.

I always had VERY thick, long and healthy hair. My hair was so thick it was hard to handle it all to put it in a ponytail! It wasn't until the past 3 years that I developed what they are saying is Chronic Tellogen Effluvium. I have lost over half my hair now. It still grows but it's thinned all over A LOT. I hate it and I keep it short, chin length now to make it look thicker and not so stringy. I am lucky to have hair still I guess, but from what I have been so used to my whole life, it feels like I have NO hair. I guess we all deal with our hair loss on different levels and it affects everyone differently. I have also been battling major health issues since the age of 12. I'm really sick right now and I know that isn't helping my hair health at all. Thanks for sharing and asking!

Julie,
Does your cte have a known trigger (like autoimmune, hormonal, or skin condition)? Does it go away and reoccur or has it been aggressively since it kicked in?....also have u had burning, itching, soreness of scalp or changes in texture or graying?....sometimes I think I just got aga (my free testosterone is at 80 which is high, but I went on spiro and that didn't help, plus I think 80 is high but not high enough for this kind of aggression, I'm losing it faster than any guy with aga)... have u ever had a scalp biopsy?....I've been to 4 derms and not one of them will do it, they don't even look at my hair with a microscoped, I had to beg my last one to atleast do a pull test and she said the pull test didn't wasn't bad, but then I made her look at my shirt covered in hair and she said it could be cte but the biopsy wouldn't tell her that

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service