My Doctor says it's almost guaranteed that there will be no studies for the disease FFA because there's NO money in it.  If there are studies that INCLUDE FFA it's because FFA has to do with hair loss which is an issue that brings in a great deal of money.

SO!  I thought, why not start our own thing.  I started a spread sheet with some statistics and factors and only if my fellow Frontal Fibrosing sufferers are interested (it's totally anonymous) I could share it here (the ONLY forum I know of for this disease).

If we get 100 people or more, I will bring it to a reputable Hospital here in NY and see if we can muss some real interest to conduct an official study to help us.

It's completely anonymous.

I started it so it's easy to follow the format.

I might have to turn it from an excel doc to a google doc though.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1aeFfbgrTwmr0v-kWpWX0gSJk06U...

Views: 2990

Replies to This Discussion

Hi there Classical Anne!  Thanks for the good wishes.  I finished chemo and radiation and now I am on daily hormone therapy for at least five years. My hair is growing back in -- but only the hair not affected by the FFA.   Now that it is growing in, I'm a little shocked to see just how extensive the FFA is.  It's back about 3 inches at the temple and 2+ inches everywhere else.  And although none of my doctors relate the breast cancer to the FFA, in my mind it's not much of a stretch to think that my immune system trying to fight the cancer might have triggered the FFA.  It's a shame so little is known about the triggers.   Take care and GO CUBBIES!! :)

Hey Cubbieblue!  I'm happy to know your progress with the cancer treatments.  Congratulations on finishing the hard part!  I can just imagine your shock at the moving borders of your FFA.  I agree that your body's desperate attempt to fight the cancer could have set off autoimmune issues elsewhere.  Hopefully some ongoing studies will provide answers.  

How did you handle your total loss of hair during treatment?  Have you gotten accustomed to wigs, or are you the queen of stylish hats?  Your journey can have a real impact on this forum.  And I must concede -- Cubbies indeed!

Yes, being past the hard part of cancer treatment has me turning my attention to FFA issues again.  I have 5 or 6 "lone hairs" near my original hairline, then a great vast of shinny smoothness, but a pretty good crop of varying shades of brown and grey at the top, crown and nape.  One of the chemo drugs I had can cause permanent hair loss in a small percentage of people, so I am thankful it grew back.  I never got comfortable with the wig, so I mostly went with hats, scarves and wraps.  Hope you are feeling well and you are managing your health issues comfortably.  Take care!

Cubbie HOw are you doing?!

Great guys!  I'm glad a few people are interested.

Can you see this doc?  I'm working on it right now to make sure others can edit it so you can add your info too.

Please feel free to add common lines to the list if they come to mind.

I had a thought today and I'm adding that one to the bottom of the list.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1aeFfbgrTwmr0v-kWpWX0gSJk06U...

D&F I can see the document but cannot make changes.  It says I can only view the document and must ask the owner for edit access.

I would consider adding categories for

1) exercise habits

2) alcohol use

3)  weight in general:  above average, average or below average

4)  Origin or Descent (I've heard that many afflicted are of European descent)

Hi Chubbieblue.

excellent additions!  I think I added that feature yesterday, I'm going to look now to see if it worked.

:)

I can view but can't edit.  I just requested access through the site.

hi LoriO

I see someone else has contributed to the form. I'm not sure if you have to make a request and then I approve it but I did check something that says "anyone who can see the link, can edit"

Can you?

Yes, I filled it out.  I also got a notice to edit it again when more questions were added.  Thanks!

Guess I'm not very techy! I can see it but when I press edit it takes me to google sheets then I can't find it! Definitely doing something stupid but wondering can you guide me??

hi Dyners.  I see that columns O-Z are still free on the sheet.  if you can get to one of those columns and fill it in moving down per the questions in the "A" column I can edit any typos or if it needs to be moved from a Y column (for example) to the current empty "O" column.  the "A" column is locked so you can see it no matter what column you're in.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service