Hi....just wondering on others thoughts on whether I can/should/ or shouldn't bleach/dye the dark spots that are coming up..... After Losing all hair and going bald, I now have Snow White regrowth all over....but there are lots of dark patches too...which I'm thinking I could just dye to blend in?
Any of your experiences, thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks,
Snowflake :-)

Views: 6490

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

First, Hi, Liz. For some reason, this thing won't let me reply to Liz's comment, so it goes here, I guess. Second, thank you for your very nice comment. You guys with your BEAUTIFUL white hair! There should be a subsection on this site: "My hair came in white and I love it!" (photos optional; no one here needs the stress). I'm waiting for mine to come in (fingers crossed) so I can shave it close and stop coloring it dark. Too funny, how you want the opposite of what you get. And look at you, Liz. Absolutely gorgeous. Women pay a lot of money to get that color. I know a bunch of people on here have other health issues to deal with, and still the hair is so important. I don't mean to butt in here on you and Snowflake, but I did have a comment about tossing the hat---never toss your hat. They're good for rainy days and collecting Halloween candy.

Hello! Good to hear from you :-) Thank you so much for your compliment. When my hair fell out I wanted *any* hair to grow in and then when the white grew in I had a hard time facing it. It is too funny how we want the opposite of what we get. Right now I'd like to feel comfortable with whatever happens. I'd like to set my head free whether it's bald, white, or spotted. Sounds so easy. I am not the type who likes to stand out. The white hair certainly challenged my comfort zones. Oh, no worries, I won't toss my hats :-)

You already stand out, Liz, because you're beautiful, because you're your own person---there's no other person to be but you---because you have alopecia and are strong enough raise the shades, go outside of your home, and look people in the eye, whether you have no hair, white hair, or are having a fat jeans kind of day. I'm 6 feet, tend toward chunky (ok, fat---thank you, Weight Watchers, size 16 to 6! Eight years now, but the dang prednisone is having its say in my chocolate and pasta intake right now), and have had alopecia since I was 3, off and on, more on, actually. I have had no choice but to stand out. I wear a lot of spectacular silver jewelry, and for work, I dress well. I am comfortable with myself because this is who I am, and that makes people comfortable with me. I am very open about having alopecia. Let's face it, we're not fooling anyone with all the work we do to cover it, that just makes us feel better. You do stand out, to those who think you're beautiful, to those who deserve to get to know you, to those who love you. Don't you ever think otherwise. And I'm glad you're hanging on to your hats. Hey, by the way, have you noticed that the silhouettes (picture holders to the right) have better hair than we do? Someone should fix that. It might give a girl a complex.

You're fabulous! How did I miss this? I'm still getting used to this forum. I'm not even on Facebook. You just gave me such a lift. Thank you! btw, I make spectacular silver jewelry! Well I don't forge the metal but I did buy some beautiful Hills Tribe silver flowers and most are too big for me to wear. I string the beads to highlight their beauty. I'm still believing I will get my body into balance whether my hair grows back or not. I was in a vicious cycle with steroids. I had creams, pills, inhalers, I practically bathed in it. I do love steroids but they quickly turn on me after the honeymoon period. I found it wasn't sustainable for me. I was cranky and hungry (for comfort food!) all the time. I threw half a melon at my sister on roid rage and that was 20 years before my hair fell out! You're right, they should ditch the Breck girls to the right ;-) Am I dating myself? Have a great day wherever you are. I hope the sun is shining. Thank you so much for your kind words :-)

Hello! Any updates on your dark patches? My dark patches have become one huge patch that is covering about 80 percent of my head. It is growing through the white and I would love to ditch my hat at this point. Did the dye work for you? What color did you use? Hope you are feeling great and you are enjoying the Summer. Cheers, Liz

Hi Amy! Thanks for your message. The dark patches on the back of my head are quite big and have a few on top of my head, a few dark hairs here and there all over... Yes my hairdresser bleached the dark regrowth and toned it back as best as she could. As this color is pure, and hairdressers dont have this true color. So for the first week when its done, its not too bad.. then my regrowth like just grows so quick, and thats when the patches are SOOO noticeable :-( . So when you look front on at me ive got this wild white color looks all as one, but then from the back you can see the patches. i think i could try to accept it a bit better if it was just this one platinum blonde color! ohh well, its doing what it wants to do... i havent gone out in public with it, but went to my best friends house on the weekend and was brave and had no hat on! she was very proud of me and said i looked like PINK(the singer)!! haha So if you have a good hairdresser have a chat with her and show her your hair and see what she can do, i dont recommend doing it yourself.. let me know how you go... i am due to go back to my hairdresser next week, i hate these dark patches!! :-( Cheers, Snowflake :-) xx

Hello! Any updates on your dark patches? My dark patches have become one huge patch that is covering about 80 percent of my head. It is growing through the white and I would love to ditch my hat at this point. Did the dye work for you? What color did you use? Hope you are feeling great and you are enjoying the Summer. Cheers, Liz

Thanks so much for the update :-) I am going to miss this white hair. I've grown to love it. I'll let you know how it goes ;-)

Hi Snowflake! I dyed my hair last night. Yikes! The stylist put a "glaze" on it to color it all brown. I have a short hair cut with my old color back. After three years of white hair, it feels weird to see my old self. The dark was growing into the white so fast it took over more than 80 percent of my head so it made sense to dye it dark. Hope all is well with you. Would love to hear from you. Cheers, Liz

Hi Liz
Wow! well it makes sense that you dyed your whole hair back the original color given more than 80% was dark patches growing. i know you have always been a positive person throughout this, so how are you feeling with your "new do" now! :-) Was it throughout the last 3 years that the dark patches were growing so rapidly, or just recently? My question is now, are you having any regrowth of the white hairs?
I still have the few dark patches, but have regularly been going the hairdresser every 4 weeks to bleach them and then we tone it in to match the 90% of snow white hair i have!! My regrowth comes back so quick which is why i have to go every 4 weeks! Its still a bit thin, but has grown rapidly. Think of the singer "Pink" and that's how my hair is looking!! My family and friends are loving it.... me.. i'm getting there :-) xx

hello snowflake :)
I also have AU and I have white hair coming in also. Before my hair was Auburn/Brown with red highlights. I would say no. Not to do anything. Maybe you might want to put Rogaine on the dark spots and see if the hair will come in. If you dye the hair it might be a lot worst than it is now.
I also had dark spots and they did go away after some time being there.
Best to you, Debbie

Hi Debbie, nice to hear from you. :-)
You may or may not have read by now my earlier posts to other people regarding what i have done to my "hair"... but i regularly go the hairdresser every 3-4 weeks to get a touch up done on the dark patches to blend in with the rest of my snow white hair. All is good so far, I am not doing any further damage, as my hairdresser is keeping a great eye on it, as of course i dont want the hairloss to start again. The dark patches are actually regrowth of hair, so it wouldnt be any use putting anything on it, as that is the color it has come through as.
How long have you had AU for? How long is your regrowth now? My hair now is about 2- 3 inches in length all over, some spots a bit thinner than others, but all over coverage in general. I suppose i have to be grateful for that, still all a big learning and accepting curve.
Best of luck to you Debbie. Take care, Snowflake :-)

Hi Snowflake! I've had white hair for the past three years. The hair was relatively thick on top and then thin on the sides. When I was treated for Lyme, my dark hair started growing back quickly and now has slowed down a bit. My nephew went through the same process. His hair grew back in patches when he was treated for Lyme. Crazy. I'm not sure how the growth will continue and what color it will become. It could stop here. I'll let you know how it goes :-) Enjoy the white hair. I miss mine. Take care, Liz :-)

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service