Tell me a funny story! I can laugh at myself so lets laugh together. I just lost my wig in public. Not kidding.

We can all cry together, but I'd rather laugh. Does anyone else want to share a funny story? On Father's Day I was in the pool with my darling daughter and I wear an old wig to swim. My daughter is really bothered that some of her friends or herself would think that I am ill,etc. if they see my balding. I say, "Who cares?" But whatever. So I wear a swim wig. Father's Day I am swimming and she is laughing and playing with me and I come up out of the water and the wig falls off.It slips off backwards as I come up out of the water in this crowded pool. I catch it mid air and start laughing and slap the thing on my head. Her eyes are big as saucers. I start backing up and laughing she's shaking her head with her eyes getting bigger and bigger. Apparently I slapped it back on sideways, so I ungraciously grabbed both ear tabs and yanked the thing back in place and said loudly, "Is that better?" She wanted to leave but I wouldn't let her. I just CANNOT live my life like that. Ok, so I'm not getting any dates that day (which is what I told her incidentally to make her laugh). And I may have looked stupid, but she is the one who thinks I need a swim wig. I say, I am what I am and I am definitely more than the sum of my parts. I think by not freaking out, I recovered fine. No, I didn't get any dates, but there was no extended laughing, nor was there any sympathy clucking either.

Some of you who have encountered me before have seen that I am finally approaching dating. So all these personal ads and guess who ends up working out for me as a date? Some guy that I have had a major crush on for about 5 years but he lives not in the same city as me and he knew me before my hair ever thought of falling out so I just went through the should I tell him before or after he flies out here for his first date visit. He says if the relationship works out he is willing to relocate. So, unless it comes up naturally in conversation I have decided not to tell him until he gets here and tell him in person. I plan to meet him in a wig that is different than what is on my FB profile and that he has not seen before as a conversation starter. He may really NOT notice, though. So I'm thinking we might be, um, rolling around a bit before the subject comes up. Does anyone have a funny one for me? I can literally just picture us kissing hot and heavy and me rolling over and leaving the thing on the bed accidentally off my head. I don't really wear them tight unless I"m swimming and clearly that's not quite tight enough! LOL I get headaches. I just don't like them tight. Anyone wish to share or comment about my Father's Day pool mishap?

Views: 1229

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

They are, aren't they? I took my kiddo to get her hair cut today and the stylist asked if she thought I wanted a trim too and my DD blurts out, "Naw that thing on her head is a wig!" and I heard some snickers. Again...mantra..."I'm still cute. I'm still cute." LOL

Love the way you handled it, sometimes you just have to get on with it and just not worry too much about it!

By the way, if he is genuinely interested in you as a person...alopecia won't be a big deal unless you make it one! I have a wonderful man that I have been with for 3 years and his comment when I told him about my alopecia was..."So am I meant to change my mind about you?" I love him to bits :)

Here is my funny story :
I was in an event called the "great race" for an organisation that had invited me to participate with approx 40 other individuals that I didn't know, so I did it thinking it would be fun!
Well it was based on the TV series "Amazing Race" and it involved a lot of running and a few events that made me wonder "oh boy" I better hang onto my hair!
The whole event went by fairly well and then the final stretch home running for the finish line, our team was neck in neck with another team.....well the unthinkable happened!
Somehow my hair ended up being caught in someone's hands trying to push through the finish line with about half the teams waiting and cheering everyone on & of course my crowning glory (or lack of it) was on display for all to see! I think there was some shocked looks and some people laughed when they saw me laughing! Well I put my wig back on and started talking to everyone that was curious. Unfortunately, it wasn't the way I had hoped I could tell people about my alopecia but nothing like being put on the spot.
But I think the main thing of this story was that I think that people either out of courtesy forgot what happened and kept talking to me as though nothing happened or they were genuinely curious.....

Good luck and hope the date all works out for you!

That's a great one. I'm sure I would have selected a short one for that. DId you wear your regular one and is it longer? WHen I volunteer at this community garden, it's active and so I actually give it some thought. I have this gel liner thing I very occasionally wear with this wig that is short and has built in gel liner on it. THat's my go to if I'm thinking mine is going to end up like that. THanks.

I would have worn a swim cap.....because children are very sensitive about their mothers not "fitting in".......and when I say "children", that can be any age range from 6 to 36. Sometimes it is not all about how "we" feel about "our" alopecia.....it's about protecting our loved ones from bullying, harrassment, and ridicule.

I swim with a cap, when its windy I wear a scarf, if all is well I wear a wig. It works for me.

Thanks Cindy and Vicky. You know, I bought the most beautiful swim cap in my favorite color and some other ones that I thought would be just functional but I CANNOT find any that don't give me a headache. Sometimes I look longingly at the one that is so pretty, but I can't keep it on more than about 23 seconds. Well, she also saw me have cancer once, so she has memories of that which are probably brought up by hair loss, but she is special needs and has a functional age gap about half of her chronological one so I give her a bit more leeway than I might a regular kid. She wants to pick my wigs for me, but I draw the line there! Anyone want to buy a brand new Dolfin swim cap in turquoise animal print?

I was at work and started stretching in my chair, and I was leaning back and my wig fell off! I grab it up and frantically put it back on my head. Looked around to see if anyone was looking at me! LOL! No one saw what happened, but all I could do was laugh at myself.

I know we all have some funny moments with our wigs.

Angela I am laughing so hard my sides are hurting! This is the reason I gave up wigs completely...lol I was scratching my head one day and one of my employees was like, "that looks so funny when you scratch your head and your whole hair moves"...so done

See Barbara, I love my wigs even if people know they are wigs. To me they are more like "pretty hair hats." This is why I wear a different style and color every day. I don't want to try to "pull off" seriously "this is my real hair." I match them to my outfits and what I'm going to do for the day just like it was a scarf or something. It's better than when darling daughter was touching these bald places on my head and asking me why they were bald or I would be out somewhere and I could FEEL someone staring at my head. YUCK! I do tend to yank mine around a lot. I"m sure I itch JUST LIKE THAT! :0)

Angela- LOVE IT! Thanks!

This is probably the funniest story to date for mine:

I was at a gas station with my mother en route to my dad's relative's place for horseback riding lessons (she has horses of her own and lets me ride them for free) since it was hot out I went and got myself a gatoraide to keep cool and whilst we were waiting in line this guy dressed sort of like a priest with a black hat and a walking stick approached us and asked if he could do a healing prayer for me. Always up for good energy my mother and I smiled and said yes we'd love that. The place was almost empty besides us so he took a few steps back and started moving his walking stick around praying and let his walking stick rest just above my head for a moment. It was quite a show and felt like something I had seen on TV. It was the highlight of my day....Besides my riding lesson. He even insisted on buying me a donut!

EDIT: Actually there's two funny stories.

When I first joined the girl scouts (biggest effing mistake of my life.) I was definitely the out cast for one reason: You guessed it. Bald.

But not exactly like that...You see...Everyone loved the baldness. On every scout trip everyone would insist I ride in the middle seat of whoever's car we were in so they could feel my head...I didn't mind it because I made it aware of what it was and they didn't do it out of spite....They said: "Hey car trips are boring, hey want a head massage?" How could I pass up a head massage? On every car trip?

Ironically the cadets (now called seniors...Whatever) were jealous of me because I was BALD! Of all things to be jealous of they were jealous because I was bald and had been on TV when the troops came from from Iraq back in 05. (I was on the local news with a bunch of other kids cheering for our soldiers holding up signs) It was just so funny though....They were all obsessed with my head and even begged me not to wear hats because they thought it was so unique...I dunno how I should have felt about it but I felt popular....

Those older teenage girls were jealous of an eight year old and bullied her because she was getting to be the popular one.

I LOVE this story!

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service