Hey there, this is only my first proper post, so sorry, but its gonna be long :) I started wearing wigs about 2.5 years ago. Starting off first with a synthetic Jon Reneau & quickly moving on to full lace human hair wigs. I have androgenic alopecia or diifuse alopecia areata (they couldn't decide!) Had been loosing my hair since I was 16, so after years of lamenting, I bit the bullet, shaved the head and got into wigs :) Having lost a lot of my confidence over those years, I'm only now starting to sort of gain it back. I've always wanted to learn how to swim & surf, so have been trying but am struggling to find the right set-up of wig (or wigs) to get me through easily. Since I bond my full wig with tape,I don't really have issues with how secure it is, my question moreso is: Is it possible to continue an active lifestyle, including waterpsorts, whilst maintaining a decent looking wig (ones thats attached to your head I mean :))? I can't afford a Follea etc type wig, plus I think most people would scream if I suggested swimming or surfing in them! I buy cheaper FL wigs from China online, thats all I can afford,theres not a lot available n my area plus I like the lengths & realistic part lines of them. However, I could see them easily being ruined by all this water activity + extra washing; my current wig is already drying out and matting a bit.Also, I don't think freedom type wigs would suit due to price and the presence of head stubble :) Does anyone else do this kind of stuff? And how do they maintain the wig or wigs? It's possible I asking for too much, but I'm still not ready to go au naturel :( any suggestions welcome xx

Views: 43500

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I use to be a lifeguard and wore these units. This wig maker makes units for caucasian and african americans

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PerfectLocs

I'm new to posting too, and I really like the jemima jackman bandana's for surfing, because they're wide and don't slip off.

They no have a 50% OFF sale on their Etsy shop, the code for 50% OFF is listed in the shop www.jemimajackman.etsy.com

Wear a swim cap, get in the water, it's fun!!!!
hi, i am semipermanent make up artist...

can give you beautiful brows...for 50% disscount...i live in Herefordshire...but can travel if more people get together..xx

facebook:

long time liner conture make up Herefordshire..xx

This is my first wig,and I like it very much!Unless I tell them otherwise, everyone I meet thinks it's my real hair. I trim the bangs a bit, and I'm good to go. The style is great for so many face shapes. Try it, you'll love it too! I used it for my Halloween costume this year. It was totally cute!You can try this wigs shop:http://www.lacewigsbuy.com/?tad1=tgyxm

Sorry I don't have an answer for u but would like to know where u r getting your wigs as I have the same loss as u and not sure where to get wigs online.

Hey there, I get mine from qdhairbeauty.com. They are possibly more processed and it is difficult to get consistently good pieces, but I still get them there as they are more reasonably priced. Hope this helps!

Hi, 

I've been reading this thread and enjoying all the input and advice from everyone - so thank you very much :)

I'm posting because I'm a belly dancer and am looking for wig options that will be suitable for performances. If you've ever seen a belly dancer, there can be A LOT of hair tossing. Last year I purchased a Freedom (Vacuum) wig to use for performances and have loved having a wig that stays in place and doesn't threaten to come off. My only problem with it is the heat. I live in Queensland, Australia and have done some performances in 35+ degrees Celsius. So underneath the Freedom base I get extremely hot and sweaty and very occasionally this makes the wig feel like it might slip. This means I need to find a moment in the dance to push down and restablish the vacuum. 

I've read a lot of the responses on here regarding lace pieces and adhesives/tape. What I was really wondering is if anyone has any experience with these wigs holding under a lot of movement of the hair and a lot sweat under the cap? I would hope that since the lace is breathable I would sweat less.

I've also got some of the Dermafix from Laurie's wigs site and haven't used it yet. Does anyone know how this holds up with sweat?

I used to bellydance! Do you do all the crazy hair flipping? :) so glad you have a solution that works for you. I tape down my lace to my head with strong tape that lasts about a week. I don't know how it would hold up on the base of a freedom wig - the adhesion can be strong and you wouldn't want to damage the cap I'm sure. You could try a short hold tape and see how that would work? Try Hair direct :)

Hi Dominique, 

How interesting, Belly Dancer?  I have an integrated hair system and where I have just stumble it is taped, but it stays on even through having my hair washed and blown dry.  I also have a natural hairline.  I do EVERYTHING and after two years it is part of me.  I have to get it realigned 2x a year and a new parting, but I too was looking for a solution because I am really very active, live in Spain and the wind blows.  I love my system.  No, I don't work for the company, but I am not only a client with them, but a Life Coach.  If you are interested in finding out more my e-mail is JudithlowelifeCoach.com, oh, I also support Alopecia UK, do pro bono  work helping women to come to grips with the fact that we are much more then the hair on our heads.  Let me know and I will point you in the right direction and your worries will be over.  My husband has never seen me without hair, because my integrated system doesn't come off.  I can wash, blow dry, workout etc. etc..  I have so many people come up to me and say, "Who does your hair, I love it"  

I wear a FREEDOM piece most of the time. If I get too hot my head sweats and the piece starts to slip back. One time when I was out dancing this started to happen. I dashed to the bathroom, wiped down my head and piece, added one piece of double sided sticky tape and back to the dance floor I went. Had some sweat running down my neck after that, but the piece did not move. Phew!

You don't have to stop your life at all. You just need to find those things to help you create a normal life with our condition.

Don't fear it's a lot easier than you think. It just takes bring brave and some patience.   

Go to CreatedHair.com and choose Shop Online. Go to The Water Wig. It's a beautiful synthetic fiber. Call them they'll explain everything to you.  

It's more expensive than your regular synthetic wig but it looks and feels really authentic and you can wear it swimming, for activities and for daily wear. So it's worth it.

No worries there are lots of wonderful alternatives. You don't have to stop your life at all.

I began creating active wigs because I refused to stop my life from swimming and doing the things I loved most - sports. 

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service