Anyone try methotrexate at the same time as xeljanz? Starting xeljanz end of Jan and planning on staying on methotrexate

Views: 1501

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Does your insurance cover it??

I would love to hear how you are making out. I am in a similar situation and go to the doctor in September.  And feedback would be appreciated!! Thanks:-)

Hey, so I was on methotrexate for around 3-4 months before starting xeljanz but that drug gave me too much nausea and was not working for my ulcerative colitis so I stopped around December. Started xeljanz in mid February 2 pills a day and started seeing growth around 2months in and as of now most of my head is covered with white hair except for a couple resistant spots. Beard is black and mostly back and eyelashes are mostly back and eyebrows are on there way too. I think by November Il be at full regrowtj. Just gotta be patient with xeljanz as most people do respond well! 

How many mg's do you take in a day?

I take 10mg a day. I would have preferred to take 15 for maybe faster regrowth but don’t really feel like paying another 800$ a month. I’m from Canada so I’m basically paying out of pocket right now but it’s about to be approved for use in ulcerative colitis in Canada so then I’ll be covered and might move my dose up because this drug also puts my uc in remission 

Thanks so much for your feedback. I will see about substituting xeljanz for methotrexate. My daughter has sarcoidosis with uveitis so she’s been on methotrexate for the last few years. The mtx does control her uveitis but hasn’t helped the Alopecia at all. She doesn’t have hair on her head but her eyelashes and eyebrows are usually there (has lost a few times but they’ve come back both times).   We are going to a derm about xeljanz at the end of the month for a consultation then again at the end of September. Fingers crossed!

Omg. I have AU. I hate it. It happens at 33 in the time frame of 3 weeks. 

Devastating. 

Yet I still wouldn't take xeljanz. It baffles me how many people risk their lives taking this shit without seriously looking into it. I know you can get it in the states. You can't in the UK. There is a reason why. It doesn't pass the safely margin. It's not designed for long term use and once you stop your hair falls out. So what's the point?? It causes cancers and all sorts. 

I know we all want hair and if I could I would click my fingers and give you all your hair back. But I can't. 

People should start excepting instead of risking their long term health for hair. 

I hope you all find peace with your situation. 

Xeljanz is a pan-jak inhibitor and that is dangerous indeed. But the more time elapses whilst the disease is persistant, the less likely AU/AT will respond to the 2nd generation of jak inhibitors being presently in trials. The present standing medical advice is to induce hairgrowth and reverse Alopecia by using Xelanz intermittently. Therefore, the reason why sensible people take it now is to bridge time until the 2nd generation of more specified jak and less risky inhibitors will become available. No one will need or intends to take this forever.

I have AU, and have been AU for almost 30 years.  While I dont have significant hair growth, I was on Humira for about 3 months and started getting some hair growth on my eyebrows and my head.  I had to stop because I was having some issues with chest pains and breathing.  Its been 2 months and the hairs are still there and didnt fall out.  I'm thinking biologics are the way to go to help reverse all forms of alopecia

I have been on Xeljanz for 6 months. I've had Alopecia areata for about 9 years. I've had approx 60% regrowth since starting xeljanz. Added methotrexate 3 months ago. I am prescribed both to treat my arthritis, which I have had for 18 years. I am not sure if the methotrexate is boosting the regrowth or not. The methotrexate was added because xeljanz was not completely controlling the arthritis. Yesterday I received kenalog injections in the stubborn areas. I expect to see full regrowth by the end of another 6 months. I am tolerating the medication well, I have been on humira before and had no regrowth and constant upper respiratory infections, including a bout of pneumonia.

Thank you for validating your Humira, experience!  I had sharp chest pains when I took breaths, racing heart palpitations, and I was scared to death to stay on it, so I went off of it.  The doctors told me I have RA now they are saying they have no idea whats wrong with me.  I've been through batteries of blood test, nuclear stress test, angiograms, and no one can tell me anything but say its nothing.  Well, I had a whole lotta nothing happening to me for the last 2 years with no explanation

You're welcome :) I have been on many immune suppressing medications and Humira was the only one that made me sick. I was fine with Enbrel, Simponi, cyclosporine, and methotrexate. But not Humira! Almost lost my job due to too many sick days, had to file for intermittent leave, then finally Xeljanz was approved and I've hardly been sick and don't have to poke myself anymore!! Plus, hair!!!

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service