I have received a lot of interest from others on here in my involvement with the Xeljanz trials at Yale.

I thought it would be nice for everyone if I documented my progress on here. 

Xeljanz is a Jak3 inhibitor and is believed to work with alopecia by turning off the distress signal relayed by the hair follicle to the attacking immune system which is the cause of the hairs falling out. Xeljanz comes in a strength of 5mg per pill and a full box contains 60 tablets. The recommended dosage for arthritis is 1 tablet in the morning and another in the evening each day.

The trial is set in a series of stages and there are requirements before participating. These include monthly visits and blood tests every 2 weeks. Dr Brett King is absolutely fantastic and is an inspiration to me. His positivity and enthusiasm gives me the much needed hope I have craved for over a decade. I have been put on a low dose to start with which is 1 tablet every other day. My dosage has now been increased to 1 tablet every day and next month it could be increased to 2 tablets per day depending on the results. 

I have completed my first month and have already noticed my alopecia has stabilised . I have not lost any existing hairs. In addition to this I have seen little hairs growing in my chest area as well as eyebrows. Fingers crossed! To date, I have experienced no side effects.

-----------------------------

AW:  Other discussions on Xeljanz / Tofacitinib

https://alopeciaworld.com/main/search/search?q=Tofacitinib

Views: 927818

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Anna, didn’t want to answer without getting your ok. Lindzzej- Ruxo seems pretty hard to get on insurance - there are other options if your not happy with results on Tofacitinib but they are usually not supported by insurance/medical community due to the lack of specific trials on alopecia. There is a generic baricitinib available- again - it’s probably not as strong as Ruxo but may work better on certain people then Tofacitinib as the jaks it inhibits are differently weighted. I think trials on baricitinib and other alopecia specific Jak inhibitors are happening and hopefully we’ll hear about them sooner rather then later.

hello frida i don't know if it is a side effect but i have developed osteoarthritis of the left knee and my right knee is starting to hurt me can inform me because i haven't seen anyone who has developed because of xeljanz I am only 30 years old and before that I have no problem

Hi Kevin, it does seem strange as I would expect Tofacitinib to reduce inflammation rather then cause it. The one thing that I thought of when I read your post was that the use of steroids can cause osteoarthritis, so if you have used steroids regularly or even intermittently but frequently it may have caused bone thinning which can lead to osteoarthritis. That said those of us on this forum are probably the some of the first long term users of jaks so some of the side effects we notice may indeed be related and just never really seem because most of the trials didn’t go for longer then 18 months. Has your doctor got any ideas if it is related to Tofacitinib. I personally have not experience similar issues and have not heard of that particular side effect in others but it could be a unique reaction to Tofacitinib in your system. Sorry I couldn’t give you more clarity than that.

thank you frida for your answer I have a slight crack in the meniscus I see a rumatologist in 2 weeks I do not know if it is related because of xeljanz.
I see my dermatologist to try dupixent because the hair is difficult to regrow with xeljanz.
I will keep you informed if my dermatologist will prescribe me dupixent because there is very good result, I would probably stay on xeljanz in low doses

I see the same doctor I'm surprised she said 2 months. When I first saw her she told me it could take 4 months. Wonder what's the factor. 

Thanks you all. I have a prescription of oral minoxidil that I havent taken yet. I will as my Dr. next month about the prednisone and see what she thinks.

Dear all,

I would like to buy Xeljanz online from India as i am not able to travel to Turkey to buy Xeljanz.

Do you know whcih seller company i can contact?

Good morning, everyone,

Following the current events (coronavirus), several questions have been raised regarding the use of TOFACITINIB .

Should tofacitinib continue to be taken?

Are we more vulnerable to the virus?

Is our immune system more fragile than normal?

If anyone has more information, please share.

I am worried as well. Nobody has answer to these questions, so it all comes to personal risk assessment.

interesting to read that baricitinib could have some benefits https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(20)30132-8/fulltext#sec1

it all depends if your immune system is weakened because of xeljanz ie your blood cells are weakened yes it is dangerous if you have caught the coranavirus if all your blood tests are good no worries to have because people at risk of having complications from dying are people with weakened diabetes, pulmonary cardiovascular disease who have a history or who are already simply ill. so if you are in good health with xeljanz there is no problem the only problem sa would be stopping xeljanz if you caught the coronavirus.

the barcitinib link doesn't work can you translate it for me. I have a generic box of beacon barcitinib but I have not tested it if it is legitimate. Do you know people who went from xeljanz to barcitinib if there are better effects?

The link works if you select all the text, for some reason the forum by default leaves some text of the link with out the url.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(20)...

They found utilizing Deep Learning that Baricitinib could help for COVID-19. Of course it has to be tested through clinical trials first.  

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service