I have received a lot of interest from others on here in my involvement with the Xeljanz trials at Yale.

I thought it would be nice for everyone if I documented my progress on here. 

Xeljanz is a Jak3 inhibitor and is believed to work with alopecia by turning off the distress signal relayed by the hair follicle to the attacking immune system which is the cause of the hairs falling out. Xeljanz comes in a strength of 5mg per pill and a full box contains 60 tablets. The recommended dosage for arthritis is 1 tablet in the morning and another in the evening each day.

The trial is set in a series of stages and there are requirements before participating. These include monthly visits and blood tests every 2 weeks. Dr Brett King is absolutely fantastic and is an inspiration to me. His positivity and enthusiasm gives me the much needed hope I have craved for over a decade. I have been put on a low dose to start with which is 1 tablet every other day. My dosage has now been increased to 1 tablet every day and next month it could be increased to 2 tablets per day depending on the results. 

I have completed my first month and have already noticed my alopecia has stabilised . I have not lost any existing hairs. In addition to this I have seen little hairs growing in my chest area as well as eyebrows. Fingers crossed! To date, I have experienced no side effects.

-----------------------------

AW:  Other discussions on Xeljanz / Tofacitinib

https://alopeciaworld.com/main/search/search?q=Tofacitinib

Views: 927437

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We’ve been seeing Bordone. She’s great

Yep! great doctor! 

She finally called me back and advised...drum roll.... ROGAINE! 

I've never cried so hard in my life like I cried after this call. 

I went to her and she didnt help not one bit.  I dont recall her even examining my scalp. When i asked abouut whether she should recommend me for a transplant she said to see dr bernstein.   I felt the appt complete waste of time and money. 

My hair is still slightly shedding but growing in too.. I'm too scared to get my hair cut whixhi normally get complete shave on the sides and a cut on top. My hair line has thinned out on one side and I'm scared what it will look like with a hair cut... anyways this is my orogrpro/regress since the winter when I cut my meds from 15 to 10 then I was put back to 20 and I started seeing some progress about 3 weeks ago

Hi Newjack are you on Tofacinix !? How ‘s it

Hey man... I think it is looking good!  Just always remember where you were and where you are today.  I know the constant feeling of never knowing what is going to happen.  That being said it sounds like the 20mg is working and when you feel comfortable you could try to slowly reduce down to 15mg.  Just take your time when you reduce it.   The disease is rough because it takes so long to grow your hair and when a spot shows up it... it can really be demoralizing.  Chin up buddy... I wish I hair like you right now :). 

Hey Newjack. What type of Alopecia did you have when you first started seeing Dr. Bordone?

I was AU, my beard was on the way out, and so was my eye brows . I had patches on my legs too and no hair on my head .When she saw me I started xeljanz about 3 months later and it all came back .

She lowered my dose without tapering off and I got spots within 2 weeks and I figured I'd be ok and it was about 3 months till I upped my dose again .so I'm slowly recovering . But she's very happy with the progress and not worried at all .

Mr NewJack are you still taking Tofacinix? 

No I'm taking brand .

Thanks for sharing! I also have AU and just visited her this past Monday. Currently on my third day of taking Tobacitinib. She started me off on 15mg. Hope to share my progress here.

Hi Newjack,

how long did it take for you to start seeing noticeable regrowth?

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service