I have received a lot of interest from others on here in my involvement with the Xeljanz trials at Yale.

I thought it would be nice for everyone if I documented my progress on here. 

Xeljanz is a Jak3 inhibitor and is believed to work with alopecia by turning off the distress signal relayed by the hair follicle to the attacking immune system which is the cause of the hairs falling out. Xeljanz comes in a strength of 5mg per pill and a full box contains 60 tablets. The recommended dosage for arthritis is 1 tablet in the morning and another in the evening each day.

The trial is set in a series of stages and there are requirements before participating. These include monthly visits and blood tests every 2 weeks. Dr Brett King is absolutely fantastic and is an inspiration to me. His positivity and enthusiasm gives me the much needed hope I have craved for over a decade. I have been put on a low dose to start with which is 1 tablet every other day. My dosage has now been increased to 1 tablet every day and next month it could be increased to 2 tablets per day depending on the results. 

I have completed my first month and have already noticed my alopecia has stabilised . I have not lost any existing hairs. In addition to this I have seen little hairs growing in my chest area as well as eyebrows. Fingers crossed! To date, I have experienced no side effects.

-----------------------------

AW:  Other discussions on Xeljanz / Tofacitinib

https://alopeciaworld.com/main/search/search?q=Tofacitinib

Views: 927505

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm still in the process of organising the blood tests and ordering the meds from abroad as I live in the U.K. So I'm not the best to give advice . I guess u need a balance coz when I started losing my hair I went very strict on my diet to try and stop it and as a result I lost a lot of weight in a very short period of time and I guess that has accelerated the shedding abit !Don't they give you any advise on these trials about life style to enhance the meds ? And about the shedding what do they say ? 

because it’s a trial they really just want to see how well the medication itself works, they tell you things like drink a lot of water and don’t over exercise but that’s mainly so the blood tests stay normal. i haven’t asked about the shedding because i only saw it yesterday and i don’t have an appointment until tuesday. It’s weird because it was just yesterday when i rubbed ginger on the spots and i haven’t seen any more since, i used to rub my scalp all the time and would check for hair shed and consistently found none. That’s why i think it’s weird that it shed so much out of nowhere and only on the spots that already didn’t have much hair at all. i’m going to change my diet anyway because i guess it can’t hurt. It’s just so difficult to know with this disease. Also i wish you luck with getting your meds! i’m sure it’ll work well for you.

There only the diet as it's the only thing you have changed. Better to get back on the diet that worked for you, I have read on this forum time and time again some people experiencing a bit of shedding while in the meds. But only temporary and it's if they drop their meds sometimes I guess but I could be wrong . Thanks and good luck to you too I'm sure you will grow it all back soon. Were you AA or AU ? And for how long ?

Yeah my dosage has been the same so it can’t be that but i hope it’s just temporary, i can’t handle losing much more mentally. I’m already changing my diet once i saw the shedding, it makes sense to support my body in ever way i can. and i was almost AU for about 3 years when i got on the study and before that i was AA for about 3 years. I have almost all my hair back now, in fact i have more hair than i had back when i just started to lose it in patches, but now my hair is so short i can’t cover it. I would almost be okay to have the amount i have now forever if it was longer. But i think it should all come back, i only have a couple patches left. And i have 6 more months on the trial along with a two year extension study afterwards. 

I can imagine the feeling but hang in there , I'm sure you will have full regrowth by the end of it . Most of the stories on this forum had full regrowth and they also say once you are a responder you will regrow your hair back even after a while . Good luck and keep us updated !

stop eating inflammatory food..i have got 80% hair back with clean eating

That’s awesome!!! I’m around the same mark. When did you start? Do you have pictures ? 

hello ..i started 8 month ago ..it was trial and error 

i tried keto diet too but with keto u unintentionally eat too low fiber and that upsets stomach...i take care of my gut very well and dont eat anything that wud cause bloating gas and bad digestion ..no oil red meat eggs milk curd etc..if i feel i have eaten something bed i do a 1 day fast

first thing in the morning luke warm water with lemon and then apple cider vinager 

i also realized most pro biotic in market wont help u its mostly marketing gimmick...only few work

check pics  but its not very clear my camera not very good

the area u see which is whitish there are hair coming but its very very slow process

i did cupping therapy too on head

i am going to try something in few days and result will be available in 20 days..i will update if that works

Attachments:

Awesome! That is great grow! It will be full soon enough!I followed The Plant Paradox by Dr.Gundry. I have had great success with it. Yes, a majority of probiotics on the market do not survive the stomach acid. 

What diet do you follow now

I still follow it, I just noticed it said followed! 

Should I get the flu shot and shingles vaccine done ? I’m probably going to start xelijanz in two weeks. Advices please ! Thanks 

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service