I had quite a bit of free time this morning and spent a good while reading blogs right here in the Big AW. So many of us seem to be having a really tough time with appearence.

So I go to have lunch with my husband Leo and his mother at the facility where she lives.
I get to thinking about alopecia and it really isnt that big of a deal compared to what some of these people are living with.
Some were old some and some were young. Some could hear and others couldn't. Some were crippled and others not. Everyone seemed pretty happy and lunch was good.

They have a Happy Hour on Friday. I plan on making an appearence and letting my hair down.

Jeff

Views: 188

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I need to go to happy hour with you!

I'm going to call you in a little bit -- so much to talk about!!!

Love, Kat
Hey Kat,

I'm cooking dinner while Leo is having his footbath. Mmmm Lavendar epsom salts.
no the footbath not dinner lol.
Call me.

Hugz,
Jeff
I understand what you mean. Something just came to mind as I was reading your message. Do you think that when a group of people, who are suffering from disabilities, illnesses are together, they are not aware of others being different, and to them nobody stands out?
I know sometimes I feel so hard done by having AU, then you see somebody with a life threaterning disorder, and it puts my AU in place.
Hi
I don't think it is unususal or wrong to worry about your appearance. Most people prefer to look clean and well groomed - whether that be with a fashionable twist or just a well scrubbed demeanor. We all like the choice on how we present ourselves to the world and to have that adjusted through no fault or choice of your own is a bitter pill to swallow. For most the appearance thing disappears somewhat as they find solutions but the lack of control over this condition is the real rub for me and I think for many others.

I think that all that are dealing with this condition go through a very real and acceptable stage of grief and often that comes with outright misery for what has happened. Most move on and past this but for some it takes a little longer as life for everyone is different. I don't think that detracts from the fact that there are many miserable and difficult situations that are harder than alopecia but when you are in that place it is hard to see.

Have fun at happy hour.

Rosy
I agree...
Hi Jeff!

I agree with you. Like you said. Alopecia isnt that big of deal compared to other things in life.

Hugs, Roger.
Consider me humbled.
This is my point.
While Alopecia can and was devastating to me I thank my lucky stars I am healthy.
Think about all the diseases out there...
Diabetes
Emphysema
Cystic Fibrosis
Cancer
Leukemia
High Blood Pressure/Heart disease
Kidney Failure
Hepatitis
AIDS
I think you get my point.
Again, while alopecia is no cake walk and can be a bummer it isn't a threat to my life.
That makes me feel good.
Hi Jeff

I understand your point and very much agree. We are lucky in some ways and miserably unlucky in other ways.

Rosy
Patty Archetko of Hilton hesitates to talk about her thinning hair. Like most women, she's sensitive about how her hair looks and grateful that her hairstylist has found a cut and style that camouflages the changes.

"I've been crying over my hair for two years," says Archetko, who's 53 and does secretarial work. At times when she is shampooing, her hair falls out in handfuls, which is characteristic of her telogen effluvium — a type of hair loss caused by medication, high fever or other trigger event. "It is devastating."

But more recently, she has suffered pain from burning mouth syndrome, which has put her hair loss in a different light. "When you lose your hair, it doesn't hurt," Archetko says.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/article/20081029/LIVING/8102903...
I am a happy person. I always have been. Part of life is coping and that doesnt mean scraping anything.
Sure we all have grieving moments but those moments pass.
I choose to live in the present and make the most of life. Otherwise what would I be...A Bitter Old Queen.

Jeff
Of course, here is something to put things in the proper perspective:

My beloved niece Michaela has been ill for quite some time -- unexplained fevers, migraines, and episodes where her white blood cell counts either bottom out or skyrocket off the charts. She went to the rheumatologist to be tested for rheumatoid arthritis and got a diagnosis of lupus instead. Keep in mind, my baby is only 4 years old.

I would give absolutely anything in this world to keep her from having to suffer from lupus; my grandmother lived with it for years before she died. Knowing what my niece is about to go through, it certainly puts my feelings lately about having AA into the proper perspective. Needless to say, how I feel about my AA is totally irrelevant, as I can and have lived without my hair for quite a long time. I don't think I would want to live my life without Michaela.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service