I wonder about this because I've been AU for 8 years now and I would like to know if others have been AU for long periods and what regrowth has occured. I don't want to go through patchy hair again and would like some hope of it never returning. So if there's someone in their 80s out there who went bald 64 years ago... let me know ;)

Views: 157

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How about 36 years? Lost it all at 5 and I am now 41 (I hope the math is right). I often wondered if I am one of the more senior au participants walking around. My grandmother had it from her early teens until she passed at 84.

Anybody else out there currently longer than 36 years? I am real curious.

Frank
Hi Eric, I guess technically I've only AU since I was 17, so that's 15 years with pretty much no remission and only a few scarce patches of peach fuzz that only last a few weeks...then they are gone too .

My AA started when I was 8. I would much rather stay AU than have it come back only to develop AA with patchy hair, always wondering, hoping, being frustrated etc. If its gone for good, then "good riddance"I say :-D
I've actually been AU for so long I've adapted to being sleek and I really enjoy it most of the time (I hate that I have no eye lashes or brows). I've been AU for roughly 15 years but have had alopecia for 30 and for me the worst thing is to have patches. I've recently begun growing a tiny patch on the top of my head and something that resembles an "A" on the back and I don't like it. I've shaved it and now wear my wig most of the time when I go out because it's so obvious and I'm trying to find a job! I just hope it just goes away unless it wants to get things straight and move in at the same time. Pick one - either way - I don't care just no patches!!!!
I don't remember the exact age I lost all my hair, but it was somewhere between ages 10 and 11. Now I am 25. So I've had 0% regrowth in 14-15 years. And just like you, I wouldn't want it if it came back. I used to say I'd love eyebrows and eyelashes but now I wear false ones and that makes me feel better! :) Especially since the other day getting my nails done I watched a girl get her eyebrows waxed. NOT for me! Haha!
I stated loosing my hair when i was 10 months old and by 13 months it was all gone. I have had a light patch on the back of my head since i was 13. I have had no noticable regrowth since i hit puberity. I am now 27 and prey every night not to grow my hair back. I would have no clue what to do with it. They other day my friend asked me to help her get shampoo i ened up with some leave in conditioner. Another this is i really do not know what color my hair is any way. I lost it all when i still had baby hair so i dont know if it is balck or brown.
Hi, i have had my alopecia since age 45 and I am 49 now. The weird thing is that my son got it before me, and lost all his hair when he was age 3. I wish we knew what the trigger is. I get slight fuzz here and there, but nothing to take note of. I don't mind it cuz it is a sign that my hair could grow if it chose too. I get by with a good wig, and like the versatility of not having hair. I used to hate to wash mine, color it, style it etc.....not to mention the nasty facial hair all my women friends are now getting due to age changes. I feel liberated from hair worries and find it gives me more free time! It is not all bad....
My AA started when I was 4, and I was AT until I was 13 -- so that's 9 years. The AT came back when I turned 17 and regressed when I was 21. That lasted until January 26, 2002 -- which is the day I buried my father, who died suddenly. I've never been AU, but AT is just as traumatic and life-altering I think. Currently I am AT and have been for the past 6 years and 4 months; so if past history is any indication then I may be coming to the end of this cycle. I would never wish that my hair would never come back, even though I confess to really NOT liking the additional weight on my head. I look at alopecia from this perspective: If I have hair that is great -- I can cut, color, and style it however I want and will enjoy having it for as long as it chooses to visit. If I don't have hair even better -- that means I can sleep in a few extra minutes before going to work everyday and my morning routine is that much shorter!!! :)
I'm on year 14 with no significant regrowth. Doesn't seem likely at this point. Whew!

I wouldn't mind having all my hair back, I suppose, 'cause it'd be nice to be able to customize my appearance a bit, but yeah, the patchy transitionary period would be a nightmare.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service