How Much Would You Subject Your Body To to Have Your Hair Grow Back Again?

Hello my fellow Alopecians!

I wanted to share a pivotal moment in my life with you guys, and specifically wanted to hear your thoughts. I recently went to see a brand new dermatologist, who shocked my by saying: "You know, your hair can grow back. There was a study done in Turkey recently where the women took three months of prednisone, along with anti-inflammatory drugs and Tums each day to counteract the calcium loss from the prednisone, and they experienced COMPLETE regrowth!"

Sitting on the examining table...my clinic standard-issue paper gown scrunching slightly beneath my hands in my lap, my eyes widened in surprise. And then my mouth pursed, waiting for the punchline. "Okkk..." I said, reeling from this news, trying to assimilate this information after three years of being an Alopecian.

And then the punchline came. My eyebrows raised, mouth slightly ajar, as I listened to the new (and very smart, perky and energetic) dermatologist try to sell me on this new course of therapy.

"Now, there are some very serious side effects to taking prednisone...we normally only prescribe prednisone for no more than two weeks at a time, but those with alopecia who had complete regrowth took it for three months, and then took more drugs for another six months in some cases." Me, thinking to myself "NO KIDDING, serious side effects! Mega-steroids for three months???" And then she rattled off the list of side effects...

"Osteoporosis...you'd have to take Tums three times a day to counteract the calcium loss to your bones...and you'd gain 10 pounds...you should watch your diet...and you' develop a small hump at the center of your back, and you'd have to take an anti-inflammatory drug in conjunction with the prednisone...and it would affect your energy level - it's like taking adrenaline..."

As she rattled off the list, my eyes grew wider and wider, and then my mind faded out of reality and I thought "But I like myself bald! Wait, wait - but being bald, this is ME now. You want to change ME? And I'd have to subject my body to this?" And then the kicker, the shocker, the idea that I had only prayed for in my most quiet of moments...somewhere along the way I had finally accepted that I had alopecia, and more shockingly, that my hair might NEVER grow back. Effectively, being bald and having alopecia had at some point fused itself into me, my self-concept. It's ME, a part of ME. I am no longer two people dueling in the mirror, pain and happiness. And so, when she told me that I could subject my body to these terrors and rigors, I reacted akin to someone suggesting I cut off my nose - "What!!!?" And then indignation, "Why should I do THAT?"

By the time my mind faded back into reality, she was finishing her spiel..."But it would only be for three months!!" Nice - I'd only have a hump in my back for three months, and coming down off my crack high and losing that extra 10 pounds or so would be a BREEZE. ONLY THREE MONTHS. Yaayyy crack!!

So, my fellow family: Does anyone else see the irony in this? I had once prayed that I'd always be able to see my own beauty, because at first I had been terrified, paralyzed by the idea that my body would be ugly forever without hair. Now, after several years of a gut-twisting, painful and rewarding psychological journey, I feel beautiful...and in a caustic twist of fate, a doctor is telling me that if I do some really ugly things to my body, I'll grow my hair back! Ironic!? I think so.

So tell me fellow Alopecians: What do you think? How far would you go, what would you subject your body to, to have your hair grow back? Has anyone tried this course of therapy? Just so you know, I told the doctor I'd do some more research on it, but I declined treatment. But, I'm more interested in the philosophical aspects of this question. I am asking because if a doctor had told me this a year ago, when I was in a different place in my psychological journey, I would be nursing the hump in my back and running around like a crack baby at this very moment. But, what would you do?

Views: 1418

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I was on prednisolone for 3 and a half months and guess what, I am bald now. So I don't for a minute believe your doctor when she says that this is a cure. I think for me, it may have slowed down the rate of hair loss but that's about it. Suppressing the immune system will only result in hair growth while you are on the drugs. For total regrowth after they are stopped, your body needs to go into remission, to turn off that alopecia "switch." And so far, there is no treatment actually proven to do this.

And on the side effects, even though I was on them for a relatively long time, I did not experience side effects like your doctor explained. I do not regret trying them at the time, but now I am not seeking any treatments. I have been bald for almost a year and if my body decides to keep it that way, so be it. Of course, I still want my hair back but I am not risking any my health to get my hair back.

Another side note...when I was still seeing a dermatologist for my alopecia, he suggested TOTAL immunosuppression, ie. worse than steriods. BUT these drugs had a long list of side effects, including an increased risk of certain cancers. I was astonished he would suggest these to an otherwise healthy 21 year old girl - surely that risk is not worth it. So I think you made the right decision, well done.
I've already posted this elsewhere, so please forgive the repetition if you've seen it before. A close friend of mine died of cancer a month ago. Two days ago I learned that another women friend has a return of her cancer and it doesn't look promising.

I don't have hair, but am otherwise pretty healthy.

'nuff said, as far as I'm concerned.
Thanks Mary: Loving life is more important than hair. Terribly sorry to hear about your friend, and I'll tell you she's lucky to have had a friend like you.
Hi

Personally, I never tried treatments or medication for my daughter. After my investigations it never seemed to be a safe option.

My daughter accepts her hairloss. She wear a very good prosthesis and prefers her life to be about anything other than her hairloss. Her choices have worked for us. She is happy and like you, gorgeous.

Rosy
Hey! I honestly wouldn't do anything to get my hair back. If there was a button to push and I would have automatic hair regrowth, I still wouldn't. I have accepted it and love being me. I don't like change and I think it would be difficult to accept myself with hair now. lol

I had a dermatologist that said he was going to put me on prednisone no matter what and my parents freaked because they heard of the side effects and they wanted to know ALL side effects. The dermatologist INSISTED there weren't any to worry about at all and got offended when my parents questioned this. To say the least, we never went back. But my point is...research it before you try it. Also, my parents motto at the time was..."You could be bald and skinny or...be bald and fat, there are not guarantees your hair will grow back."

It wasn't worth it. I am healthy as can be and couldn't thank God enough!

OOOOH, and off topic but I have been COMPLETELY bald all over for about 4 almost 5 years and was diagnosed 7 years ago..but I still have hair on my under arms...WHAT'S UP WITH THAT?! Why does my body attack all my hair BUT those? It angers me. lol Its the same thing...it makes no sense to me!! Lol Anyone have a similar situation?
I'm with you all the way!

And I also have my hair under my arms!!!! It is the one place I hate to shave but still do. Now what purpose does this serve us? It's not keeping dust from going into our eyes! I wish had my eyelashes for this reason. Also to keep the snowflakes from going directly into the eye....it melts but sure does take you by surprise!
I don't understand how those hairs will keep right on growing but the visible hair is no where to be seen! Very very strange!
Good for you, Brianne! You have a wonderful attitude. I've been bald for exactly a year, and I feel the same way you do.

After being AU for most of last year, I have suddenly had a tiny area of hair growth on the outer edge of one "eyebrow" (you need a magnifying glass to see it), and also some regrowth in my nose! It's so freaky the way THOSE particular hair follicles are not being attacked by the T-cells. I have to say that I love having baby-smooth legs and underarms with no shaving, and no bleaching or waxing of upper lip hair!
I'm happy with what god gave me and no drugs in the world going to change my mind.
Heather, I applaud you! Absolutely wonderful post. I have done many things to try and get my hair to grow back - things which not only burnt a hole in my pocket but did irrevocable damage to my body. This was two years ago when I was so blinded by desperation that I would do literally anything to try and stop my hair shedding. I'll spare you the details. Now that I'm living with these damages and face even more as I grow older, I would certainly never try anything that would compromise my all over health for the slim chance that I may regain SOME hair. If anyone is thinking of going down this route, I strongly urge that you reconsider.
Hi Sol:

Your experiences in trying to grow your hair back and your post above are a reaffirmation of self-love. Thanks for the message and uplift.
I would not recommend prednisone due to it’s volatile potency.
However, at this juncture there are a number of therapies available and/or in the pipeline…

The most successful treatments for Alopecia are:

1. Injectable Corticosteroids (mild to moderate episodes in which hairloss is less than 50%)

2. Anthralin 1% (mild to moderate episodes / and in combination therapy for some severe cases)

3. Oral Corticosteroids (for severe episodes in which hairloss is greater than 45%)

4. Topical immunotherapy (for patients with more than 50% hairloss as in severe cases)

5. Stem Cell Therapy (in the medical pipeline: currently being researched for possible future treatment protocols): :
In 2008, Matt Lauer and NBC Chief Medical Editor Dr. Nancy Snyderman reported on a potential baldness ‘cure’ discovered by University of Pennsylvania Medical Center Researchers. The new technology involves Stem Cells and a new Complex (not yet disclosed) that acts to generate/stimulate New Follicle Generation in research mice (other hair growth treatments work to stimulate growth in existing follicles, not lost follicles and cannot generate new follicles or growth once gone, and unlike other treatments, this protocol is expected to work for everyone). Human trials are expected to begin in the near future, with the treatment available, in as little as 3-5 years.
Hi Jane-

Yes, there are some relatively benign approaches to moderate cases of aa.

However, the information in item #5 should be deleted. It's misleading and inaccurate for what is really the status of research findings at UPENN from the laboratories of Dr. Cotsarelis.

For those who want to be fully informed, follow the information trail backward from the new venture capitalist groups funding Follica to the patent filings with the US Patent and Trademark Office.

Medical information on television is info-tainment.

Thea

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service