I have received a lot of interest from others on here in my involvement with the Xeljanz trials at Yale.

I thought it would be nice for everyone if I documented my progress on here. 

Xeljanz is a Jak3 inhibitor and is believed to work with alopecia by turning off the distress signal relayed by the hair follicle to the attacking immune system which is the cause of the hairs falling out. Xeljanz comes in a strength of 5mg per pill and a full box contains 60 tablets. The recommended dosage for arthritis is 1 tablet in the morning and another in the evening each day.

The trial is set in a series of stages and there are requirements before participating. These include monthly visits and blood tests every 2 weeks. Dr Brett King is absolutely fantastic and is an inspiration to me. His positivity and enthusiasm gives me the much needed hope I have craved for over a decade. I have been put on a low dose to start with which is 1 tablet every other day. My dosage has now been increased to 1 tablet every day and next month it could be increased to 2 tablets per day depending on the results. 

I have completed my first month and have already noticed my alopecia has stabilised . I have not lost any existing hairs. In addition to this I have seen little hairs growing in my chest area as well as eyebrows. Fingers crossed! To date, I have experienced no side effects.

-----------------------------

AW:  Other discussions on Xeljanz / Tofacitinib

https://alopeciaworld.com/main/search/search?q=Tofacitinib

Views: 927609

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If I were to change insurances mid year does anyone know if xelsource will stop sending me medicine?

Unlikely, as long as you are still privately insured and not switching to Medicaid. I would notify them of the change though, and if there is a lapse in coverage that will probably temporarily disqualify you until the new insurance kicks in.

I was wondering because I am thinking about searching for a new job. The pay increase shouldn't knock me off however I do want Xeljanz. There wouldn't be a lapse in coverage at all, but would they know?

Would I have to go through the entire approval process again

I'm not sure if you would have to go thru the whole process again, or whether they would know. Sorry. This is what is says on their website regarding changing insurance:

Health plans can change—so can your health insurance and prescription benefits. Once your new plan begins, XELSOURCE can help review your plan information, obtain Prior Authorization (PA) (if needed), and verify your XELJANZ coverage.

The answer in my daughters case is no - once you are approved, the pharmacy takes over with sending out the meds and they have nothing to do with the insurance. We have changed insurance every year after we were approved for the hardship year and have never had any problems - each year you have to reapply for the hardship program and that is the point at which you have to give them your insurance information. Hope that helps!

Thank you, so your daughter changed insurances mid year without a hiccup and no questions asked from xelsource?

Update on my order and it's been 9 weeks, shaved my head on Saturday. 

Attachments:

That's amazing Newjack! It's coming back so dark and thick too. Wonderful success. Hope your beard has stopped feeling prickly. I reckon another month or so and you'll be back to "normal"

My beard has stopped feeling like it's on fire and maybe I see 1-5 hairs fall out. It's very stringy by my chin but barely passibly. Once my head hair comes in I'm going to shave the beard and let that come in evenly. 

Awesome! 

Was your head completely bald prior to starting xeljanz? I just started xeljanz again a few days ago, I'll post an update when I hit a month.

Completely bald

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service