I have received a lot of interest from others on here in my involvement with the Xeljanz trials at Yale.

I thought it would be nice for everyone if I documented my progress on here. 

Xeljanz is a Jak3 inhibitor and is believed to work with alopecia by turning off the distress signal relayed by the hair follicle to the attacking immune system which is the cause of the hairs falling out. Xeljanz comes in a strength of 5mg per pill and a full box contains 60 tablets. The recommended dosage for arthritis is 1 tablet in the morning and another in the evening each day.

The trial is set in a series of stages and there are requirements before participating. These include monthly visits and blood tests every 2 weeks. Dr Brett King is absolutely fantastic and is an inspiration to me. His positivity and enthusiasm gives me the much needed hope I have craved for over a decade. I have been put on a low dose to start with which is 1 tablet every other day. My dosage has now been increased to 1 tablet every day and next month it could be increased to 2 tablets per day depending on the results. 

I have completed my first month and have already noticed my alopecia has stabilised . I have not lost any existing hairs. In addition to this I have seen little hairs growing in my chest area as well as eyebrows. Fingers crossed! To date, I have experienced no side effects.

-----------------------------

AW:  Other discussions on Xeljanz / Tofacitinib

https://alopeciaworld.com/main/search/search?q=Tofacitinib

Views: 927464

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Do you still need a prescription to order through Beacon?

I ordered without a prescription.

Does anyone know if Bluecross insurance covers Xeljanz for AU?

So I have had 2 different versions of BCBS.

The first version I had, covered xeljanz after a few appeals from my doc. Then I lost that insurance do to a change in income.

The 2nd version I had, denied me the coverage after several and maximum allowed number of appeals from my doctor.

So now i hate them ha and I've switching to united healthcare in the new year. Let see if they will cover.

But in general my doc says that he has had BCBS approve xeljanz for several of his patients.

It just depends on which plan you have

NicoleT,

The HAP from Pfizer denied you because of your income? I have heard before that they will not just outright deny you but make you pay up a little. Did you provide a expense document? 

(if that isnt the case)

I understand that if your insurance denies you of coverage you can get Xeljanz for free from pfizer, it is a battle but its worth it in the meantime... But you need the cooperation of your doctor. 

But you have to have Rheumatoid Arthritis. They will not approve it for Alopecia, at least they wouldn't for me.

Insurance or pfizer

Pfizer hardship plan.

They approved it for me and they know I have alopecia. They needed to know that my insurance denied me first before they approved me. It was nerve wracking. I would double check..

They actually call me and ask how I am responding to the medication because I am using it off label use. They even ask if they can contact my doctor and talk to them to get more information based off the research. They want people to use the medication for other issues.

It was a horrible experience but as far as everyone I ever talked to, they had been accepted even for Alopecia they just had to provide the proper documentation and go through a lot of loop holes such as providing income, insurance denials and of course other reasons.

Okay, if I need to I'll try again. Thanks!

Hi Nicole - I'm curious about what BCBS plan covers Xeljanz.  I had CareFirst and I was able to get approval for them to cover Xeljanz. Because of the significant raise in bi-weekly deductions for health insurance, I switched to BCBS on Jan 1.  They denied my derms request to dispense it, now I have to write a statement asking them to reconsider and show why it's medically necessary.  I have BCBS, basic self only plan, do you know what BCBS plan covers Xeljanz?  How were you able to get BCBS to cover Xeljanz? Did you have to write a statement?  What did it say?  I've only been on Xeljanz for 3 months, and am starting to get fuzz on my head, my eyelashes and eyebrows are starting to come back, I've made such progress. 

Hi Theresa,

My son has alopecia and we have BC/BS PPO who covers the drug. Initially it was declined. The derm photographed my son's head and wrote the appeal letter including the photo. They declined and provided research materials to support their position but actually made the case for prescribing the Xeljanz.. After a few months after progress was visible, the derm wrote another letter and included the photo leading to approval for coverage.

In the meantime, while this process was going on, I got online and activated a Xeljanz Co-Pay card where they cover $15,000/year for people who have insurance. This carried us through until the insurance company agreed to cover the Xeljanz.

At our initial appointment, the derm said to expect denials and appeals. That's just the process.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service