I have received a lot of interest from others on here in my involvement with the Xeljanz trials at Yale.

I thought it would be nice for everyone if I documented my progress on here. 

Xeljanz is a Jak3 inhibitor and is believed to work with alopecia by turning off the distress signal relayed by the hair follicle to the attacking immune system which is the cause of the hairs falling out. Xeljanz comes in a strength of 5mg per pill and a full box contains 60 tablets. The recommended dosage for arthritis is 1 tablet in the morning and another in the evening each day.

The trial is set in a series of stages and there are requirements before participating. These include monthly visits and blood tests every 2 weeks. Dr Brett King is absolutely fantastic and is an inspiration to me. His positivity and enthusiasm gives me the much needed hope I have craved for over a decade. I have been put on a low dose to start with which is 1 tablet every other day. My dosage has now been increased to 1 tablet every day and next month it could be increased to 2 tablets per day depending on the results. 

I have completed my first month and have already noticed my alopecia has stabilised . I have not lost any existing hairs. In addition to this I have seen little hairs growing in my chest area as well as eyebrows. Fingers crossed! To date, I have experienced no side effects.

-----------------------------

AW:  Other discussions on Xeljanz / Tofacitinib

https://alopeciaworld.com/main/search/search?q=Tofacitinib

Views: 927437

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

SPO6, how much hair loss did you have before you started? I had 90% lost in my head and after 4 months im now at about 75% hairloss
I lost about 70% before starting xeljanz. Before starting, my hair was falling out fast and spreading to my eyebrows too. Im so happy that things are improving well for me. I posted pictures of myself before starting xeljanz as well as after one month on page 181 of this discussion.

Wow that's amazing regrowth Sp06!!! I'm so happy for you!!! Dr. King will be very excited when you go back!!! How are the eyebrows? I haven't seen a difference yet with the topical, but it's been only 1 month.

Thanks! I cant wait to visit dr.king next month. I dont know about the topical yet, the spot on my scalp i apply it to seems to be growing in, but im pretty sure that might just be the pill taking effect because the eyebrows have not changed from a month ago. It might need more time.
How about you, are you seeing any progress with the topical yet?
I guess it's too early to see a progress from the topical yet. The spot on the scalp hasn't improved and neither the eyebrow.

Did you take anything except for xeljanz to speed up the progress? e.g. plaquenil?

All im taking besides xeljanz is biotin and 5000 IU of vitamin D everyday.

Please can anybody guide me on How to get the 4months free supply of Xeljanz through Pfizer?

I Live in Venezuela but I am willing to travel to the US in order the get the product and try it.

What should I do?

Thanks!

Juan

Hi everyone,
I am new to this site by membership, but not by reading posts. Since Sept 2015 i have suffered (like all of you) from Alopecia Areata. Mine was aggressive, about 50% hair loss in 4 months.
I am currently on methotrexate which has somewhat decreased the abnormal shedding, but i am still loosing hair and my hair is thinner by the day.
I have spoken to my Derm. about Xeljanz and have an apt with her next week hoping she is deciding to allow me to try this. I pray she does. I understand this may not be the solution for everyone, and that I may not respond, but man do I hope it is....
Thank you everyone for sharing your experience and allowing me to be able to follow your posts.

Your Derm won't be your hardest one to convince...the insurance is the hurdle.  I hope you find a way to try it.

Very true cws, I have that exact thought in the back of my mind as well... I am hoping I can start off with the xeljanz copay card and then hve my derms support when communicating wth the insurance company if they deny it.

Hoping for the best, for myself and also for all of us alopecia sufferers.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service