Hi Everyone, I know in these various discussion threads many of us have commented on what hair loss we have, what medications we are trying, what diet we are doing, etc. I thought it would be helpful to start a discussion where we have everything we do all in one spot. My thought is it will make it easier to compare notes and find what we have seen before...if you agree, please feel free to use the outline below and add your information.

HISTORY: (as in when you first noticed FFA and how regression has been)
SUSPECTED CAUSES:
MEDICATIONS:
VITAMINS/SUPPLEMENTS:
TOPICALS:
INJECTIONS:
DIET:
HAIRCARE: (as in shampoo brand, wash frequency, coloring, etc.)
COPING STRATEGIES : (physically as in bangs, headbands, hair supplement, wigs, etc. and/or emotionally - yoga, activities, exercise, friends, etc.)
SUCCESS:

Please join in! Feel free to amend as you wish. I will post mine separately.

Thanks!!

Views: 2487

Replies to This Discussion

MJ, Welcome.  I'm so sorry about your diagnosis.  It stinks, doesn't it?  I was diagnosed with ffa  in February & have been taking twice the amount of Hydroxychloroquine you're taking for five months with no side effects - - not even an upset stomach.  I've had blood work done twice  since then and everything has come back normal.  It seems to be the safest way to treat this disgusting disease.  Regarding the Clobetesol, my doctor prescribed a liquid, which is applied directly to the scalp.  It's a little oily, but not difficult to keep off the hair.  It takes months to find out if the drugs will work for you, and I'm still not sure.  I have good & bad days.  I have a three-month check up in January, so I hope to know more then.  Good luck to you.  Try to read as many postings on this site as you can.  I've learned more here than from the three doctors I've seen since my diagnosis.

Thank you Annie.

MJ, please email me at my private email address and I will send you an 8 page information sheet I have typed up for ladies newly diagnosed with FFA.  This will save you the time and effort of trying to read through our past posts. 

debs-007@tiscali.co.uk

This info sheet will enable you to hit the ground running with this condition. 

Deb, I sent you an email. Thank you!

Hi Debs! I just sent you an email too to get a copy of your information sheet. Thanks for compiling everything!

Ellen

Ithaca,NY. USA
HISTORY: approximately 2 years ago I noticed what I thought were just pimples along my frontal hairline. At first my GP thought it was a fungal infection, and then a bacterial infection. It would clear up with antibiotic ointment for a while and then come back. Around this time my eyebrows started getting patchy. I didn't have any idea the two were related. I just lived with it for a long time until I really noticed how much my hairline was receding. I finally when to the dermatologist, and she thought it was a form of scarring alopecia right away. Follicle biopsy confirmed it. Based on the pattern of loss I was diagnosed with FFA this summer. I didn't want to go on any immunosuppressant medication, or meds that would have significant effects on my health. I started using a high potency steroid foam and ointment, but I didn't see any real improvement in the scarring inflammation. My dermatologist told me it is an autoimmune disease. I have at least an inch 1/2 of recession of hairline all around the front. I've lost most of my eyebrows, and also all the hair on my arms.

Topicals: I stopped using all of the topical steroids and stated using Nizoral shampoo, and a 2% salyasitic gel topically daily.

diet: I decided to start looking at this from more of the autoimmune angle. I went gluten free, and have been for about 4 months

Hair care: My hair is really curly, so a good cut helps hide some of it. Sometimes I use Toppix hair building fibers to make my hair look fuller, but nothing hides my bigger forehead except some bangs.

I've gotten better at penciling and powdering in what is left if my eyebrows.

Coping: This sounds weird, but I take pictures of myself with my eyebrows off and hair pushed back s a way of confronting the hair loss. It makes me feel a little more powerful to look at the current state of affairs without judgement.

Success: After 4 months of gluten free, the Nizerol shampoo and salyasitic acid gel, I've seen a very significant reduction, to almost elimination of the scarring inflammations. I know I can't get back what I've lost, but I'm hopeful that I'll continue to see improvement.
Chris, thanks for sharing your experience with FFA. It is encouraging to hear that you are stabilizing without the use of the steroids. I have been on an anti inflammatory diet and have been 98% dairy free and 95% gluten free. I am going to try to get to 100% gluten free..it is not easy!
MJ
Hi Chris can you please tell us all the name if this gel you are using, I have not heard of it before and am very interested. Thank you xx
Hi Debs, I'm not sure if what I posted before got to you. This site is a little complicated;). Salicylic gels are pretty common in acne medications. It's a beta hydroxy acid. I use Paula's Choice 2% gel, but I've also used Clean and Clear spot treatment. Most over the counter gels and treatments are 2%. Just look for 2% salicylic acid in the list of ingredients. Salicylic acid is basically what is in aspirin. It's an anti inflammatory.
Hi Chris thanks a million for this info. It is so great that we can share advice like this.

8e Age 63

Scotland

History: first noticed summer 2012 .diagnosed Jan 2013. Progression slow. About egg sized patch but lots of inflammation. Very little itching.

Causes: no idea. Had very traumatic bike accident 5 years ago ?????

Medications. Initially synalar gel( topical) and Plaquinil plus iron supplements. After 3 months : Prednisolone  and Azathioprine(steroids) . I chose not to use Rogaine or Dermovate lotion.

Taking turmeric and bromelain daily.

Some days accepting but mostly miserable about the future.

Cut my hair very short to get used to my face not being hidden at all. Colour It

I prescribed myself Turmeric and Bromelain

Positive side effect to steroids was huge improvement with my back problems. Initially steroids were ghastly but dose much reduced . I was lucky and didn't put on any weight

Despite comparativly small loss, emotionally it can wreck me. Fear of the future is the worst

. I don't eat meat, my diet is very good and I exercise regularly. Don't know how I'll do the gym thing with much more hair loss as my hair is plastered to my head at the end of a class !

Dee, I use a buff for my gym work and bandanas.  Or a wide head band that you can buy cheaply in Claire's Accessories shops in the UK would cover up your front hairline nicely too.  Everyone looks a bit scruffy at the gym so don't worry about the look of your hair too much, I think if you have something covering up your front hairline you will be able to relax and enjoy your workout.  Some ladies use a sweat band or headband anyway to keep sweat from their eyes so you won't stand out. 

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service